Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm.
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced paralegal to join our growing product legal team. You’ll work directly to help Coinbase bring crypto to the world, and will assist in managing and operationalizing the complex workflow of reviewing digital assets at Coinbase. You’ll work with our in-house attorneys, outside counsel, and other vendors/consultants to prepare cryptocurrencies for legal review, you’ll organize and manage the review process, help identify and route exceptions and and priority targets, and manage the back and forth communications between various teams, including our internal clients and outside parties to arrive at a final review deliverable for each asset. You'll also assist with scaling and operational projects that will help streamline numerous processes and allow the business to move quickly. You’ll also grow with our assets addition process as the effort expands to cover more jurisdictions and types of assets. You will collaborate closely with business teams, product teams, Legal and Compliance department colleagues and outside counsel and consultants to execute on a variety of critical tasks.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Implement a rigorously developed legal procedure for the efficient and rigorous review of digital assets.
- Respond to legal requests from business teams, summarizing and communicating legal concepts.
- Operationalize numerous processes and exceptions associated with asset review, cataloging, regulatory reporting, and ongoing monitoring.
- Validate, re-review and perform initial assessment on new and novel assets requiring individual attention.
- Work with legal colleagues to review, summarize, and prepare legal memos, and briefings for business that succinctly and accurately describe legal risks and opportunities.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams (Business Development, Product, Engineering, Finance, Compliance) and other legal colleagues to solve problems, build partnerships, accomplish critical business objectives.
- Implement process changes and improvements as we grow and expand our asset review process globally.
- Incorporate new questions and processes into existing workflow, and help communicate/train stakeholders in necessary changes.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as we plan, build, and execute their product roadmap.
- Be a business partner, not just a paralegal!
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 4 years of experience working as a paralegal or legal assistant in a large law firm, or in-house. Experience in a regulated financial services industry is a plus.
- Experience working with attorneys to develop, manage, and modify procedures, policies and processes to effectively intake and track complex and novel legal workflows from start to finish.
- Experience project-managing legal related organizational projects.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ, wise, authentic, with a sense of humor.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.