Litigation Attorney - Worker's Compensation at CNA
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Handles insurance defense or coverage matters from pleadings through trial. Manages litigation preparation driving for superior results. Develops the litigation strategy and prepares/directs the preparation of all necessary materials i.e. briefs motions discovery depositions experts etc. Advises whether a case should be tried or settled and actively drives case to resolution with an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Handles bench and jury trials as first chair in both state and federal court as necessary. Tries all aspects of cases including court appearances trial preparation motions discovery and negotiations.
- Communicates regularly and concisely with clients claim professionals leadership and others to ensure appropriate level of understanding and documentation exists for effective case management.
- Conducts legal research and analysis of facts and information to provide counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
- Prepares opinions or position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of legal issues/provisions.
- Counsels client/management/claim professionals to avoid legally unsound decisions or plans and when changes in the law occur.
- May train or mentor other attorneys and paralegals. Trains department staff on appropriate procedures (e.g. claims etc).
- Collaboratively works with clients claim professionals underwriting risk control and other third parties while resolving legal issues.
- Works independently in resolving legal cases with oversight supervision.
- Responds to government regulatory agencies as needed.
Reporting Relationship: Typically Director or above
Skills Knowledge and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of the theories principles practices and procedures of litigation management within an insurance organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication negotiation and presentation skills.
- Strong negotiation consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
- Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software ie TeamConnect or other case management software.
- Value driven to provide superior solutions to internal and/or external clients.
- Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the client/organization.
- Helps self and others to excel through collaboration and building strong relationships.
- Thinks creatively and uses diverse ideas to solve problems.
- Raises expectations of self and others by continuously learning and broadening industry and technical skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree with JD and admission to the bar of at least one state. May require specific state license.
- Typically requires a minimum of five years of legal experience in claims and/or law firm with a progressively increasing level of responsibility. Requires trial and/or litigation experience. Requires a proven track record of results.
- May require specific technical/functional area legal experience.