Global Aviation Regulatory Affairs at Zipline
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medical products to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
About You and The Role
We are looking for someone who can spearhead expansion of Zipline’s UAS commercial delivery operations in various geographies around the world. As a member of Zipline’s Legal, Regulatory & Policy team, you will be responsible for obtaining international aviation regulatory approvals that enable Zipline to operate safely, efficiently, and at scale in various geographies around the world.
You will serve as the primary point of contact with key regulators and other government decision-makers in support of Zipline’s international commercial UAS operations. You will also advise Zipline’s internal teams on current and future regulatory requirements and how to meet them, and collaborate cross-functionally with external experts, regulatory bodies, and industry groups. To succeed in leading Zipline’s interactions with various international aviation and transportation regulators, you must quickly develop an extraordinary command of Zipline’s end-to-end commercial UAS operations.
As our Global Aviation Regulatory Affairs hire, you will have the uncommon opportunity to architect and execute the regulatory strategy that opens skyways for millions of people to reliable, on-demand access to essential medical supplies.What You'll Do
- Lead airspace integration and related regulatory approval processes in new markets and geographies.
- Address any regulatory challenges to rapidly scaling in Zipline’s existing markets.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with aviation regulators.
- Ensure Zipline’s local teams understand relevant regulatory requirements and are empowered to meet them.
Within 3 months you will:
- Achieve one or more key aviation regulatory goals that enables Zipline to serve a new geography.
- Be the first point of contact for teammates and regulators on all aviation regulatory requirements applicable to Zipline’s current and future delivery operations.
- Communicate directly with multiple civil aviation authority offices and teams regarding Zipline’s commercial operations.
Within 6 months you will:
- Develop strategy and prioritize relevant markets for regulatory efforts, working closely with Zipline’s regulatory and legal teams.
- Be building and implementing the regulatory compliance framework to support Zipline’s commercial UAS operations at scale in a new country.
What You'll Bring
- Significant prior experience working directly with foreign civil aviation authorities, including senior-level management and technical staff, and owning strong partnerships with aviation bodies and other regulators (e.g. defense agencies, ministries of transportation)
- Strong language skills (fluent in English and at least one other language --Spanish, Portuguese, French and Arabic preferred).
- A resourceful, self-starter approach focused on delivering great outcomes and turning a ‘no’ into a ‘yes’ .
- A quick grasp of complex technical concepts and regulatory issues and their implications on Zipline’s business.
- Analytical rigor and breakthrough creativity to be “first of a kind” through challenging regulatory processes.
- Willingness to get nerdy and dive headfirst into Zipline’s UAS technology and operations.
- Strong communication skills; a proven ability to work collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Grit, aptitude, and resilience to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and regulatory environments.
- Judgement to act decisively when armed to do so and conviction to otherwise ask for help from your team and/or mobilize internal resources to achieve goals.
- Willingness to travel internationally on a frequent basis.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!