Who We Are
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. The Motive Automated Operations Platform combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to automate vehicle and equipment tracking, driver safety, compliance, maintenance, spend management, and more. Motive serves more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is proud to be a Forbes Cloud 100 company and a 2020 Career-Launching Company by Wealthfront.
Motive is looking for an experienced, self-motivated, and forward-thinking Employment Counsel to join its growing in-house legal team and support the company’s global workforce, and in particular, its workforces in India and Canada.
The Employment Counsel will be Motive’s second employment lawyer and will report to the Lead Counsel, Employment and work closely with Motive’s business and operations units, in particular its Human Resources and Recruiting teams, to deliver the highest quality legal advice and strategic business guidance on a broad range of labor and employment matters. The ideal candidate will be a clear and succinct communicator and team player with extraordinary business judgment, unquestioned personal integrity, and the ability to lead as well as to collaborate.
We are open to hiring this role Remote - US., India, or CanadaWhat You'll Do:
- Support all aspects of Motive’s employment activities in Canada and/or India
- Play a leading role in ensuring Motive’s compliance with Indian and/or Canadian employment laws
- Provide day-to-day legal advice and counsel to the HR and other business teams on a variety of employment matters
- Provide risk assessment and strategic guidance to internal clients
- Stay current on employment law developments and best practices, and providing training and updates to the HR and other business teams, as needed
- Strong academic credentials
- Licensed to practice law in India, Canada, or the U.S.
- 5 years of labor and employment law experience
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic advice and legal counsel on all aspects of employment law, including: discrimination, harassment and retaliation; disability; leaves of absence; overtime; compensation; worker classification; contingent workers; non-competition and other restrictive covenants; and whistleblowing
- Willingness to think outside of the box and to take on responsibilities outside of your wheelhouse
- Strong interpersonal skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization and willingness to put together - and present - interesting employment law trainings for the HR and other business teams
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel
- Comfortable with working in a fast-paced environment where no two days are the same and where priorities are often changing
- Someone who is solutions-oriented, biased towards action and impact, and sees problems as opportunities
- Someone who demonstrates a growth mindset, is genuinely curious, and learns from mistakes made along the way
- Someone who is passionate about work, sees no task as too big or too small, and someone who pays attention to the smallest detail without losing sight of the big picture
- An individual with a great sense of humor and no ego who shares our vision that the legal team can be both a center of excellence and fun at the same time!
Nice to Have Qualifications (please note these are not required, and you should apply even if you don’t think you hit every bullet on these lists!)
- Admitted to practice in at least one state in the U.S., as well as either India or Canada
- Mix of in-house and law firm experience
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please do not let an arrest or conviction record prevent you from applying for employment at Motive. Motive considers qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.