Editor-Legal at Three Ships Media (Remote)
3S Legal, part of Three Ships, is seeking a Legal Content Editor with excellent editorial, SEO, and organizational skills to be part of our growing team. This is a fully remote position.
You’ll be responsible for delivering publication-ready legally accurate content that is on time, optimized, and meets our marketing goals. You may also help create concepts and ideas for new content. You’ll have the opportunity to not only manage the production of exceptionally well-written, accessible performance content, but you’ll also learn to report on the performance of our articles to determine the impact of our team’s work. You will help manage writers, oversee multiple content projects, and keep our team happy, productive, and goal oriented.
- Ensure each page we publish meets our best practices for winning organic search on our targeted keywords and delights our audience by understanding both what Google is rewarding, and what readers want to know.
- Plan, develop, and create legal information content for use by a consumer and/or small business audience across multiple topic areas, in collaboration with content strategists. Content includes, but is not limited to:
o Explanations of legal issues across varied practice areas such as family law, estate planning, DUI, personal injury, small business, employment, and others.
o Reviews of legal DIY platforms and programs for consumers in areas such as business formation, divorce, estate planning, intellectual property protection, etc.
o News and information about key legal developments in blog post or article form.
- Edit and proof articles for editorial excellence, search engine optimization, and CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization).
- Participate in regular editorial meetings for the purpose of brainstorming content ideas, reviewing editorial deadlines, educating writers, and organizing cross-content promotions.
- Manage a team of contract and full-time writers who will create content that meets and exceeds Google E-A-T standards.
- Publish articles on our CMS, coordinate with brand partners to meet style and editorial guidelines.
- Demonstrate a meticulous approach to your work, with a highly organized process and an unfailing eye for detail. Take ownership over all assigned projects.
- Measure program effectiveness, analyze data, and provide recommendation and insight via weekly reporting. Use these and other performance metrics (traffic, conversions, revenue) to inform our content strategy moving forward.
- Help build the culture of an exciting growth-stage company.
- Be a subject matter expert on what type of content wins for any given topic and why. Bring that point of view to meetings.
What Your Background Shows:
- Bachelor’s degree (Journalism, Communications, English, or another writing-intensive field preferred).
- Juris Doctorate degree, or paralegal certification from an ABA-approved program coupled with substantial professional writing experience.
- 3+ years of experienced editing or producing content for the web. Experience in legal information and SEO-driven content preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills: You maintain a methodical process and high standard of excellence in your work while balancing multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally to manage project plans.
- Strong understanding of HTML and content/ on-page SEO.
- Ownership mentality: You treat each content piece like it is your own and stand behind every word.
- An empathetic manager of writers. You know what it takes to produce optimized content at a fast pace and enjoy helping a team achieve that goal.
- Agility: You are comfortable in an often-changing environment.
- An inherent drive to be excellent: You are not satisfied with average. You do whatever it takes to get the job done at a world-class level.
Why Be an Editor at 3S Legal?
- Opportunity: We are the newest Three Ships vertical, with a highly experienced leadership team that is motivated to build the very best team possible and deliver outstanding results. You’ll start as a “doer” in editing, but can quickly progress into a leadership role.
- Ownership & Impact: We seek talented people with the desire to own and run parts of the business that drive company performance. Those who prove their value quickly earn more responsibility.
- Exposure: You will have a front-row seat to build and grow a business.
- Stability: We are privately owned, have a holding period of “forever,” have no debt, and have significant cash to invest.
- Market Landscape: The legal marketing landscape is full of opportunity and nearly recession-proof. There’s no better time to be building a business in this space.
- Learning: Our team includes leading subject-matter experts in digital (paid media, SEO, content strategy, creative, branding) and business building (business development, partnerships, negotiation, etc.). The opportunity to grow new skills and learn from smart people is endless.
- Impact Focused: There are opportunities to take part in our quarterly initiatives with organizations like Meals on Wheels and help respond to the critical needs of our local communities.
- Fun: The team has a high bar for excellence, but also a real interest in each other and making work fun.
Three Ships has a proven track record of building and scaling profitable digital-first businesses. We see a huge gap between the risk of launching a garage start-up and the boring routine of working in a large corporation to meet quarterly earnings targets. To address this gap, we designed Three Ships as a collection of independent companies whose management teams have literal and figurative ownership to chart the best course for their business. As a private company, we can focus on building long-term value for customers, employees, shareholders, and our communities without the distractions and drama that many large public or PE-owned businesses face.
Base salary and performance-based bonus are commensurate with experience. You will have access to competitive benefits, including health; 401k; a monthly wellness stipend for house cleaning, gym membership, grocery delivery or massages; mobile reimbursement; and an office stocked with snacks, coffee and just about every other beverage you can imagine.
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this role. All offers are subject to a background check.