The Major Litigation Unit within CNA's Commercial Claim organization is currently recruiting for a Director of Strategic Clam Oversight. This position is an individual contributor role. The individual in this position will be responsible principally for actively overseeing the most complex and highest exposure auto, general liability, employer's liability, umbrella and excess, construction defect, and kidnap and ransom claims, typically claims with a threshold exposure of $2 million. The individual in this position will be responsible for approximately 65 - 75 files.
The Director will work closely with the claim professional in the unit in which the claim originated, investigating the underlying facts and circumstances, analyzing exposure, establishing timely reserves, developing and implementing claim handling and resolution strategies and partnering with all stakeholders for the best total claim outcome.
Additional experience with a carrier is a plus. Ten years overall experience required. The preferred locations for this position are Chicago, IL, Lisle, IL, or Denver, however, other locations will be considered provided the individual is within commuting distance to a CNA office and within one hour of a major airport.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Oversees the investigations of the most complex claims, including liability and damages, and participates in the determining claim strategy, including if a claim should be settled or litigated. Develops and directs the execution of the litigation management strategy.
2. Counsels management on legal risks, claim and litigation strategy and obligations in complex matters.
3. Manages litigation by staff, coverage or outside counsel. Attends and provides active feedback on trials (travel required), tracks legal and regulatory developments. Advises management and claim professionals regarding, issues, approaches, and impact of changes.
4. Directs the negotiation of the most complex settlement packages (travel required), ensuring adequate reserves and cost-effective resolutions.
5. Provides research, legal analysis, counsel and guidance on legal or claim handling questions or issues.
6. May participate with senior management in the development and implementation of claims policy and business strategy.
7. Responsibility to coach, mentor, train and develop other claim professionals, including participation in development of best practices, etc.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
1. Senior level knowledge of the theories, principles, practices, and procedures of claim and litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Excellent technical and product-specific expertise, claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Excellent negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
7. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
8. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Team Connect, and other business-related software.
Education & Experience:
1. Ten years overall experience required.
2. Juris Doctor highly preferred.
3. Coverage expertise also preferred with additional experience with a carrier a plus.