We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
With those qualities in mind, we are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced director to lead our legal operations department. Reporting to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel - Enterprise, the Director, Head of Legal Operations will lead and grow an experienced team of legal operations professionals that support a rapidly-growing department of 100+ attorneys and staff. You will work closely with senior leadership across the legal department as you identify and implement the operational needs of a large, public company legal department and empower attorneys to spend most of their time doing what they do best: giving legal advice! You will lead and execute a diverse range of strategic projects and initiatives that are critical to the smooth operation and future growth of the legal department.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage our existing, high-performing team of legal operations professionals and recruit additional top talent to work with us.
- Work closely with lawyers at all levels of the legal department to understand the growth trends and operating needs of the legal department. We will rely on you to anticipate and prepare for the operational demands of a 200+ person legal department.
- Steer alignment among leadership around legal operations priorities and general strategy and guide the legal department in adopting best operating policies and practices that will allow it to work and scale more efficiently.
- Own the change management of large-scale initiatives and programs across legal operations, ensuring the right audiences receive the right information at the right time.
- Procure, monitor use, and train staff in software tools and other resources that allow us to operate efficiently and integrate with business processes.
- Lead the legal department in developing and operating tools and processes to manage outside vendors, including timely invoice approvals, budget tracking and coordination, streamlined onboarding processes, and finding opportunities for greater efficiency.
- Lead the legal department in developing and operating document management tools and processes to support commercial, litigation, corporate and other high volume workflows.
- Lead on the job training of legal department staff in regard to all tools, procedures, and policies relevant to the legal department.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Leadership and management experience in a large company legal operations department.
- Proven ability to recruit and manage top legal operations talent. Ideally you’ve built or scaled up a legal operations function.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with software tools and other systems in common usage among large legal departments.
- Comfort working closely with legal executives to manage and influence the development of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple different projects and show great judgment in triaging priorities, often in rapidly changing circumstances with little guidance.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic, with high tolerance for ambiguity and complexity, and efficient with limited resources.
- Action oriented with excellent work ethic, initiative, and sound, practical business judgment.
Sound cool? Let's work together.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $225,250 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.