Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel manager to serve as a Director and Associate General Counsel, Crypto Assets in our Product Legal team, reporting to our Product Counsel Director for Ecosystems. You will be responsible for managing a global legal team that focuses on counseling our Crypto Assets space, building and leading a legal initiative for new cryptocurrencies, tokens, and other assets across Coinbase’s global platforms. You will lead and work with both in-house Legal team members and vendor teams to identify, create and scale solutions that work in fast-changing business and regulatory environments with international scope.You will collaborate closely with product and engineering teams, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues to move the business forward.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Build and manage a global legal team that will oversee the legal process of digital asset review for Coinbase.
- Scope, build, and manage vendor teams that will work with in-house legal on complex review processes
- You will work across Legal, Compliance, and Product stakeholders to ensure process compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with cross functional teams.
- Lead complex and global cross functional efforts, driving and ensuring alignment with all internal stakeholders (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Listings, Exchange, etc.).
- Proactively solve process and other problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
- Provide practical in depth thought leadership on legal issues and risks, complex products and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment, including the impact on the company's long-term strategy to business, compliance, and legal audiences.
- Anticipate, prepare for and operationalize towards new business goals and product requirements, including new product offerings, country-specific launches, and changing regulatory controls.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 14+ years of legal experience.
- Substantial experience counseling global financial or payments products at a top tier tech or fintech company. Experience counseling products and teams internationally.
- Experience with legal personnel management, building and running a smoothly functioning legal team.
- Experience with process outsourcing, and working directly with vendor teams.
- Familiarity with the following laws and agencies a plus: securities regulations, banking and payment services regulations, global privacy regulations, data localization laws, sanctions laws, international business entity and governance regulations, and CDA Section 230.
- You have the ability to expertly advise and provide big-picture thought leadership to internal teams on the strategy, development, integration and expansion of existing and new financial products. You are comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible as well as working in areas where regulation is still evolving.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism. Team-oriented and collaborative.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.