Deputy General Counsel, IP and Product (Remote) at Zuora
Zuora (NYSE: ZUO) is a growth SaaS company whose leading cloud-based subscription management platform helps over 1,000 companies around the world launch and grow their subscription businesses, engage with customers in new and ongoing ways, and become part of the fast-growing Subscription Economy®.
At Zuora, every employee is a “ZEO” (CEO of their own career). Our culture is not an empty branding effort - people come to work at Zuora because it is an empowering and respectful place, filled with smart, curious, caring and customer-focused people. Zuora also supports its communities, including with “Zuora for Good” (dedicated corporate funding for charities). Our CEO, Tien Tzuo, is a visionary and transparent leader and author, with 97% support on Glassdoor, who has attracted an experienced and diverse leadership team. Zuora offers flexible work arrangements, and has offices in Silicon Valley, Atlanta, Boston, Denver, London, Paris, Beijing, Sydney and Tokyo.
At Zuora, different perspectives, experiences and contributions matter. Everyone counts. Zuora is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
THE LEGAL TEAM
Zuora Legal is a world class team of smart, empathetic people, who apply their tremendous legal expertise and business acumen in collaborative and agile ways. We focus on Zuora’s most important legal issues, do the right thing, simplify complicated issues, and support, respect and enjoy each other.
A positive, agile, business-focused Legal leader and communicator to drive our IP and Product strategy.
The Deputy General Counsel, IP & Product reports to the Chief Legal Officer, and has responsibilities that include: (i) developing collaborative and influential relationships with the Product leadership and providing strategic and focused advice and support to those teams; (ii) developing and advancing Zuora’s IP strategy; (iii) working collaboratively with Legal colleagues, including with respect to privacy and security compliance and risk management; and (iv) effectively managing people and a budget.
This role can be remote or in person at the option of the successful candidate. There is some opportunity to travel (<10%), especially in support of developing relationships with Product leaders and Legal teammates.
The CLO has a track record of and commitment to mentorship, career development, empathy, teambuilding and psychological safety.
The pay and benefits are highly competitive and commensurate with this important role.
- Develop influential relationships, mutual trust and collaborative partnerships within the Product leadership team, as well as with engineers, Legal teammates, and other business partners.
- Assess, develop, communicate and advance Zuora’s global IP strategy, including efficient processes for identifying and rewarding product innovation, protecting “seminal patents”, and cross-functionally driving IP development and protection priorities.
- Respectfully lead, motivate and manage in-house and outside counsel to efficiently execute the IP strategy and provide advice and support to the Product teams.
- Collaborate with Legal colleagues, including on privacy and security compliance, IP-related contract provisions, other IP protection matters and M&A diligence support.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of Zuora’s business, product roadmaps, go-to-market strategy and competition.
- Implement and communicate best practices and process automation, including by monitoring the competitive IP landscape, optimizing invention identification, submission and review, as well as OSS compliance and ease of use for engineers.
- Ethical in all dealings.
- Excellent judgment.
- Ability to influence and earn respect across functions and at all levels, including through:
- Legal expertise and concise communications;
- Empathetically learning about the business goals, pressures and priorities of other teams and looking at things from their perspective;
- Maintaining a positive attitude and persistence to overcome challenges; and
- Being a problem-solver, a constructive resolver of conflicts and someone who proposes business-oriented solutions to complex problems.
- Strong engaging leader with the presence and ability to engage with leadership, manage effectively and inspire colleagues.
- Highly collaborative person who works and communicates effectively and respectfully across all functions, cultures, and organizational levels.
- Agile and process-oriented; ability to simplify, iterate, automate and operationalize workflows.
- Extensive working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong organizational skills, and able to effectively prioritize multiple complex concurrent issues in a fast paced matrixed environment.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- 10 years or more of relevant law firm and/or legal department experience.
- JD or equivalent from an accredited law school; licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
- Demonstrated in-house experience leading teams, being strategic with respect to IP strategy, OSS and licensing, engineering support, complex transactions and process automation.
- Experience with SaaS, data analytics, privacy, cybersecurity and/or an engineering background are each a plus.
ABOUT ZUORA & OUR “ZEO” CULTURE
Zuora (NYSE: ZUO) Zuora provides the leading cloud-based subscription management platform that functions as a system of record for subscription businesses across all industries. Powering the Subscription Economy®, the Zuora platform was architected specifically for dynamic, recurring subscription business models and acts as an intelligent subscription management hub that automates and orchestrates the entire subscription order-to-revenue process seamlessly across billing and revenue recognition. Zuora serves more than 1,000 companies around the world, including Box, Ford, Penske Media Corporation, Schneider Electric, Siemens, Xplornet, and Zoom.
At Zuora, we have one CEO but every employee is empowered and supported to be the ‘ZEO’ of their own career experience. By embedding inclusion and belonging into our processes, policies and culture, we are building a workplace where our 1,200+ ZEOs across North America, Europe, and APAC can bring all the elements of who they are into their work. In addition to an industry-leading six-month, 100% paid parental leave for all our ZEOs, we also offer programs to support your mental health and give back to our communities along with “career cash” and plenty of learning and development opportunities.
To learn more visit www.zuora.com
Zuora is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Think, be and do you! At Zuora, different perspectives, experiences and contributions matter. Everyone counts. Zuora is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Zuora does not discriminate on the basis of, and considers individuals seeking employment with Zuora without regards to, race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)zuora.com.