Title: Counsel, Corporate and Technology
Location: Palo Alto, Austin, Dallas, Bedminster, NJ
Reporting To: Assistant General Counsel
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes, to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
We are looking for an in-house counsel to handle complex corporate legal matters and compliance projects. Your experience should include drafting, evaluating, and reviewing commercial agreements, with an emphasis on technology contracts, to minimize risk, applying consistent legal terms and productions. And, you should have direct experience dealing with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and scale efficient contract workflow, including coordination of relevant internal stakeholders and external providers
- Establish standard templates and negotiation matrices to support Hippo’s growing commercial contracting needs
- Work closely with our product and technology teams to provide counseling, education, and guidance on legal compliance, with a focus on data privacy issues
- Assist in implementing processes to scale Hippo’s intellectual property program and supervise outside counsel on maintaining and growing Hippo’s IP portfolio
- Serve as primary legal support to key stakeholders
- Research, identify, and mitigate legal risks across the organization
- Meet legal objectives
- Work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining multiple projects and responsibilities
- 2-4+ years of comparable law firm experience
- Excellent negotiation and communications skills
- Analytical ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, but knowing when to collaborate
- J.D. and current license to practice law
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Self-motivation and direction; ability to collaborate is a must
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn how to help others solve problems
- Flexibility and willingness to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts
- Flexible Paid Time Off - Uncapped PTO policy
- Hippo Habitat - Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits and parking passes. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all! In Austin, our beautiful, historic offices are located downtown, at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.