Commercial Counsel at Karat
Karat’s purpose is to Unlock Opportunity for engineers and companies alike, and our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. As the world’s technical hiring expert, we help companies hire smarter and grow faster, and create more opportunities for software engineers. From our industry-leading solutions to Karat’s Brilliant Black Minds program, the work we do here matters. We’re a passionate, smart, and committed team, and we want you to join our mission!Come join our Legal team
Our Legal team is dedicated to supporting Karat’s people, solving complex problems with both a business and a legal mindset, and serving as a strategic partner across every function in our dynamic organization. We embrace innovation, creative-thinking, and teamwork in our mission to empower Karat’s successes.What you will do
As our Commercial Counsel, you will serve as the second member of Karat’s growing Legal department. Focused on accelerating our sales contracting cycle, you will be crucial to support the growth engine of our organization. You will have responsibilities and opportunities to contribute across many aspects of the business, including advising on new product offerings or helping frame future aspects of our flagship purpose program.
Karat’s HQ is based in Seattle, Washington, but we are open to remote candidates for this role (within the U.S.).
- Negotiate client agreements to optimize for contracting efficiencies and accelerate Karat's sales cycles and capacity.
- Counsel on the risks and opportunities of proposed commercial transactions and devise creative, practical legal solutions to meet cross-organizational business objectives.
- Collaborate across the organization to develop and negotiate crucial contracts.
- Contribute to the design and improvement of templates, workflows, processes, policies, and satisfactory contractual positions to help improve efficiency and deliver results.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on key issues, understanding broader needs and objectives with the goal of delivering pragmatic, business-minded advice.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Bar admission in current good standing, with license to practice in at least one U.S. state
- 4+ years of hands-on experience negotiating commercial agreements (B2B SaaS or another technology-focused industry) strongly preferred
- Demonstrated fluency in key commercial negotiation points and solutions
- Proven interpersonal skills, with an ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Holistic view of the legal function (ability to provide pragmatic and solution-oriented advice, as well as the adaptability to pivot quickly to meet a variety of needs and priorities)
Karat strives to offer everything you need to best support you today, tomorrow, and beyond. We’re proud of our current offerings, and highlight some of our team’s favorites below. There are more, just feel free to ask!Compensation / Time Off:
- Highly competitive salary and stock options
- Generous paid PTO (see below) and Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Flexible Time Off Policy for salaried positions
- Three weeks accrued per year for hourly positions
- Parental Leave (12 weeks paid with transition back to work in part-time capacity)
- 18 paid Company Holidays for 2021
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance via Cigna or Kaiser (for CA-based employees)
- 100% premium covered for employees
- 70% premium covered for dependents
- FSA, STD, LTD, Standard Life Insurance, and Optional Life Insurance
- Mental Wellness offerings such as Calm, Happify, Talkspace, Modern Health, and more
- $150 per month contribution to miscellaneous benefit/wellness of employee’s choice
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know at [email protected].