Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
We are looking for an Aviation Regulatory Counsel to support our Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Part 135 operational objectives. In this role, you will provide legal advice and guidance on aviation regulatory issues related to Part 135 across Zipline, focusing both on day-to-day operational issues and long term strategy. You will be responsible for developing processes for assessing risk that further business objectives while maintaining and furthering Zipline’s relationship and engagement with FAA. You will lead the regulatory approval processes that bring Zipline's cutting edge UAS technology to U.S. airspace. Your work will have an impact on Zipline’s operations across the globe, safely bridging the gap between existing aviation regulations applied to UAS and the technological innovation in UAS delivery spearheaded by Zipline.
You will collaborate cross-functionally with Engineering, Operations, Policy, Go To Market and additional teams, listening and drawing from their expertise, experiences and needs. Your responsibilities on day one will be big: success in this role means developing expertise in the cutting-edge field of UAS aviation regulations and playing a central role in drafting and executing the regulatory strategy that opens skyways for millions of Americans to reliable, on-demand access to essential medical supplies.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Lead Zipline’s Aviation Regulatory support for our operational teams.
- Provide daily support of Zipline’s Part 135 operational objectives; work cross-functionally to develop the best plan for initial and future U.S. operations.
- Strengthen regulatory approval efforts by coordinating operational workflows, monitoring progress and removing obstacles along the way.
- Drive efficient execution of cross-functional regulatory projects and regulatory support for product teams.
- 5+ years’ experience as a practicing attorney.
- Experience in a highly regulated industry, e.g. Part 21, 43, 91, 121, 135 or 145 operations, quality control, compliance, safety, transportation, unmanned aviation programs or a combination thereof.
- Preferably experience as both law firm and in-house counsel at a technology or transportation company.
- Experience reviewing processes and process documentation to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Strong, effective written and spoken communication skills; the ability to build strong relationships with internal business teams and external stakeholders.
- Grit, resourcefulness, and resilience; an ability to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and regulatory environments.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Ability to travel: ~25%
Location: South San Francisco, CA or remoteWhat else you need to know
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!