Associate General Counsel, Treasury and Department of Justice Matters at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We are looking for an exceptional attorney to join our Strategic Advocacy team. You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging legal issues that impact fast-growth technology companies. Working closely with the business, legal, policy, investigations, and compliance teams, you will be joining a team responsible for developing and executing proactive and reactive advocacy strategies for engaging with the Department of the Treasury, the Department of Justice, the Financial Action Task Force and other important partners, formulating our responses to new proposed guidance from those stakeholders, advising the business and compliance on cutting-edge legal issues relating to sanctions, anti-money laundering, and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT), and leading cross-functional projects.
Read more about our values and culture here.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Interpreting and advising internal clients on cutting-edge legal issues relating to sanctions, anti-money laundering, and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT), including partnering with compliance and product counsel to assist them in structuring novel products and services in the cryptocurrency space.
- Formulating and executing proactive and reactive strategies for engagement with the Department of the Treasury, the Department of Justice, the Financial Action Task Force, and other important partners.
- Leading and drafting responses to new proposed guidance from the Department of the Treasury, the Financial Action Task Force, and other stakeholders, including notices of proposed rulemaking and draft guidance.
- Representing the company in engagements with key external stakeholders.
- Managing various cross-functional strategic projects in partnership with the business, legal, compliance, and international.
- Managing outside counsel, including budgeting.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in the legal and compliance teams
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant legal experience, including at a law firm or regulatory/government agency
- Experience interpreting requirements related to economic sanctions, Bank Secrecy Act/USA PATRIOT Act, AML regulations, and other financial crime-related regulations
- Exceptional legal writing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Experience advising on engagement with regulators
- Excellent judgement, analytic rigor, and business pragmatism
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States
- A whip-smart and detail-oriented attorney with solid management and leadership skills
Nice to haves:
- Interest in cryptocurrency and technology
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.