Associate General Counsel, Regulatory at Coinbase (Remote)
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial and experienced securities lawyer to join our regulatory legal team as Associate General Counsel, Regulatory (Ecosystems). This position will report to our Senior Director & Associate General Counsel, Regulatory, and will be expected to build a small team of lawyers to support her or him. This is a pivotal role, which will require leveraging in depth knowledge of securities law concepts to advise on Coinbase’s support of digital assets for retail clients, across CeFi and DeFi models. You will collaborate closely with Product Legal, Ecosystems to help develop the platforms and functionalities for the next generation of crypto, ensuring that legal risks are articulated, understood and consistently managed across products. You will also take a thought leadership role with industry groups to support the responsible growth of the industry. This role requires high EQ, the ability to navigate complex organizational dynamics and a healthy dose of humor.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop and manage a small team responsible for advising on the asset listing and support process, leveraging deep knowledge of securities law concepts as applied to crypto
- Develop and implement scalable processes to address regulatory risks associated with certain types of assets and functionalities
- Collaborate closely with Product Legal, Ecosystems on the regulatory implications of platform features and functions
- Work with cross-FX teams to ensure regulatory risks are articulated, understood and consistently managed
- Monitor regulatory activity to ensure that we remain properly calibrated as to risk
- Provide creative, innovative, and effective legal solutions for business stakeholders on routinely short timelines
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 8+ years as a practicing attorney with in depth knowledge of securities law concepts as they relate to crypto assets, services and products
- Prior in-house experience at a fast growing fintech or financial services company serving retail clients
- Expertise in scaling processes to meet regulatory requirements, particularly across cross-functional teams
- Experience managing a team of lawyers
- Excellent project management, writing and time management skills
- Excellent judgement, analytic rigor, and business pragmatism
- Willingness to roll up sleeves (no job too big, no job too small)
- Must be active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States, preferably in California or New York
Nice to haves:
- Experience at a crypto company
- UCC experience
Sound cool? Let's work together.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $245,225 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.