Associate General Counsel, Product (Growth) at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product and marketing counsel to serve as an Associate General Counsel, Growth in our growing Product Legal team. You will be responsible for senior legal leadership in the Growth product space and will lead a number of complex initiatives as our Growth product org continues to expand. You will collaborate closely with product and engineering teams, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues to execute on core growth product goals.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide counseling for advertising, sweepstakes, contests, marketing campaigns, promotions, web content, user engagement and social media activities. You will ensure compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and Compliance teams.
- Identify potential issues concerning data, privacy, and intellectual property for referral to, and collaboration with internal specialists.
- Partner closely with other product and commercial counsel to ensure that the Growth product team has a cohesive, comprehensive client experience.
- Develop self-serve resources for internal and external marketing partners in order to scale compliance for Marketing.
- Develop policies and best practice procedures and templates for all aspects of Coinbase’s marketing programs and initiatives.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency, blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues.
- Provide practical in depth analysis on legal issues and risks, complex products and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment, including the impact on the company's long-term strategy to business, compliance, and legal audiences.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 10+ years of legal experience.
- Substantial experience in consumer marketing, including advising on the launching of complex engagement campaigns or product counseling at a top tier tech or fintech company.
- Familiarity with the following laws and agencies a plus: banking and payment services regulations, global privacy regulations, data localization laws, securities regulations, sanctions laws, and CDA Section 230.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams, including Product, Engineering, Finance, Compliance, Security, and colleagues within Legal.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible. Get to “yes” approach in working with the business.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Top-notch analytical skills with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.