We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
We are looking for an exceptional lawyer with deep EU data protection counseling expertise and experience to partner with our Privacy Operations team and implement critical legal guidance on data protection issues. You will work on some of the most exciting and challenging legal issues that impact fast-growth technology companies. You will collaborate with senior leaders to establish the company’s data protection approach and product standards, including how to address evolving European and international data protection requirements, and shape processes designed to manage privacy risks across the company. You will also communicate directly with data protection regulators, banking partners, and others on topics including our privacy program, GDPR compliance strategy, and new product rollouts. Finally, you will collaborate with product teams to implement privacy-forward and customer-centric product design, and drive cross-functional efforts to operationalize business objectives while minimizing and mitigating data protection/privacy risks
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Developing a strategy to holistically address the evolving landscape of EU and other global data protection laws, regulations, and standards, including translation of key obligations into clear, actionable guidance for business and product stakeholders.
- Developing, implementing, and scaling Coinbase’s data protection program and governance model in partnership with Privacy Operations - in particular, counseling on large, cross-functional projects focused on issues like user rights and data protection impact assessments, and developing and establishing of data protection safeguards (e.g. for purpose-use limitation, data retention / deletion, etc.).
- Defining engagement model and liaising with DPO and with data protection authorities in EU/UK.
- Partner with Privacy Operations to develop durable, scalable frameworks for addressing data-related incidents, regulatory inquiries, law enforcement demands, user information requests.
- Drive effort to draft and revise user-facing privacy notices, disclosures, and privacy controls/settings, to address product and regulatory developments.
- Collaborate with Privacy Operations to build cross-functional relationships and spearhead data protection training and awareness programs to foster a privacy-centric environment throughout Coinbase.
- Collaborate with product teams to implement privacy-forward, secure, and customer-centric product design.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 8+ years of post-qualification EU legal experience, with 5+ years of substantive data protection counseling work, including in-house experience at technology or financial services companies.
- Qualified to practice law in at least one European jurisdiction, preferably Ireland or UK.
- Expertise in advising on EU/UK data protection laws and frameworks, regulatory guidance, standards, and practices, including GDPR, ePD cookie regulation.
- Readiness and experience in engaging directly with data protection authorities and regulators on thorny issues.
- Experience providing practical, scalable advice on how to address EU data protection needs in the course of ongoing product development and innovation.
- Strong people management skills
- The ability to build trust and align incentives with product stakeholders by clearly and concisely distilling complex legal issues into guidance, and creatively problem-solving to land workable solutions.
- A passion for data protection law and technology policy advocacy.
Nice to haves:
- Prior experience in the cryptocurrency, fintech, and/or software technology spaces.
- Experience advising at the intersection of EU data protection and payment services regulations, and familiarity with the global financial regulatory frameworks (e.g. AML/KYC compliance, PSD2).
- CIPP or similar certification(s)
- Experience working with new and emerging privacy frameworks, e.g. in LATAM and APAC.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.