Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
We are looking for a motivated, junior-to-mid-level commercial attorney to join our dynamic legal team. As Associate Commercial Counsel, you will partner with our procurement and revenue teams to draft, negotiate and review complex, enterprise-level agreements. You will interact with internal clients at every level of the company and also work closely with our compliance team to advise on legal, regulatory and compliance issues.
The ideal candidate will hit the ground running. You have at least 3 years of experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements. You’re organized, able to provide sound advice quickly, and have experience with the legal issues involved in commercial agreements, especially at a technology start-up. You’re adept at spotting risks, understanding when the risks matter (and are worth taking), and explaining legal issues to non-lawyers. You can be tough when needed, but work well in a fun, fast-paced, and collaborative environment.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements (both buy- and sell-side), including SaaS, licensing, partnership, and data provider agreements
- Provide practical guidance on legal issues and agreements in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds
- Contribute to the legal team’s ongoing efforts to create, improve and manage internal processes, best practices, and commercial templates
- Research and analyze laws that affect the company, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, from a commercial standpoint
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver, and strategic thinker
- Assist on projects as needed, including general corporate, vendor relationship and risk management issues, as well as assisting with the management of external counsel
What you bring:
- JD degree and a member in good standing of at least one Bar Association
- 3+ years of relevant experience, ideally as in-house counsel in a high-growth technology company
- Expertise in structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts
- Pragmatic strategist who can identify and resolve legal issues in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain complex issues and concepts in straightforward, everyday terms to non-lawyers
- Strong attention to detail
- Flexible and able to prioritize and juggle many projects effectively -- big and small -- in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative team player with high emotional intelligence, strong judgment, humility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $109,820 - $129,200.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.