Assistant General Counsel, Products and Regulatory at Circle (Remote)
Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 53+ billion in circulation and supported over $1.9+ trillion in transactions in the past year. Circle’s payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Circle’s SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising and capital formation to startups and growth companies. Combined, Circle’s suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you’ll be part of:
With the mission “To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value,” Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Under the direction of the General Counsel, you will play an immediate and direct role in product, regulatory, and compliance work, supporting the launch of new offerings, services and customer segments as we grow in new markets.
What you'll work on:
- Advise on a wide range of state, federal and international regulatory issues, enabling the company to create products and expand domestically as well as internationally in a way that meets our obligations and the needs of our customers.
- Lead a team that is providing full product life-cycle counseling for Circle’s global digital assets products, ensuring product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, including securing applicable licenses in respective jurisdictions.
- Collaborate with the Compliance Team on the application of regulatory analysis and ongoing management of the Compliance Program.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency and blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues focused on the institutional space.
- Monitor new legal and regulatory developments, carrying out research on various multijurisdictional legal issues and considering their broader impact on Circle.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multi Stakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you'll bring to Circle:
15+ years of legal experience with substantial knowledge of:
- Federal and state securities laws and their applicability to the cryptocurrency industry, including the Investment Company Act, the Investment Advisers Act, Securities Act, Exchange Act, FINRA, CFTC/NFA, and private placement requirements. International securities experience would be ideal;
- Legal structure and regulatory architecture of financial instruments (e.g., securities, commodities, derivatives, crypto), including trading, custody, and settlement of those instruments;
- Federal, state and international payments laws and regulations, including money transmission, e-money issuance, virtual asset service provider, payments institution, and fintech investments; as well as
- Building and management of a world class global product legal team, with a focus not only on professional but also personal development, while supporting a fast paced business team.
- You are passionate about financial technology, have a strong interest in digital currency and blockchain technology, are a team player with a sense of humour, and enjoy learning but also mentoring.
- You have expertise working with internal business and product teams in launching global financial products, providing big-picture thought leadership on the strategy, development, integration and expansion of existing and new offerings.
- You are comfortable working in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes, and managing multiple projects simultaneously. You challenge the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible and work in areas where regulation is still evolving.
- You apply sound, practical business judgment to your legal recommendations, and are creative at solving problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
- You can work autonomously and independently with minimal guidance but are also comfortable working collaboratively as part of a team
You have a JD (or foreign equivalent degree) and active membership in at least one US State Bar. Prior in-house experience for at least 5 years a must, including private and publicly traded companies.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.#LI-Remote