Technical Intern - Technical Writer at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
We’re committed to building a more diverse and representative Ball Aerospace. The GO BEYOND® Diversity Internship is a paid fall internship program for undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in degree-seeking programs and interested in working in the Aerospace industry. Students from any university who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented, including but not limited to Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, and women/gender minorities, are encouraged to apply.
Technical Intern – Technical Writer
The Technical Writer partners with internal stakeholders to understand and logically document current and future processes. The Technical Writer evaluates and revises the current processes and ensures that the logical flows make sense. Additionally, the Writer researches best practices around new writing methods so that they can improve the maturity of new and existing documentation.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with internal teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements.
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience.
- Write easy-to-understand user interface text, online help and developer guides.
- Create tutorials to help end-users use a variety of applications.
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities.
- Create and maintain the information architecture.
- Research and interview internal stakeholders to determine current and future operating procedures in place related to products and services offered.
- Research best practices around new writing methods, processes, and tools.
- Partner with subject matter experts to understand application and documentation requirements.
- Validate the existing documented processes flows to ensure the logical sequence of their output.
- Organize all material for conciseness, style, and consistent terminology.
- Maintain records and files of technical work.
- Provide day to day support for multiple business systems.
- Work with business area users and technology experts to incrementally improve business processes and associated system implementations, including functional requirements definition, design, implementation, testing, training, and documentation.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree-seeking programs. We will also accept students enrolled in a graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven working experience in technical writing of software documentation.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Excellent written skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Basic familiarity with the SDLC and software development.
- Ability to be detail oriented and to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to self-start and self-motivate, as well as stay on track and pursue solutions without supervision.
- Strong motivation to provide customer satisfaction, work under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work extended hours to meet deadlines when required.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 - $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.