[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
We use Machine Learning in almost every part of the product — feed ranking, NLP, answer ranking, search, topic and user recommendations, spam detection etc. As a machine learning intern, you’ll have the unique opportunity of bringing the cutting edge machine learning research into a product that affect over 300 million users. With Quora's experiment framework, you can see how your work during the internship affect the user engagement through A/B testing experiment.About our Internship:
A Quora internship is not an ordinary internship. There's no busy work. Every project that our interns work on is important to the company and its goals.
As a team, we are dedicated to holding high standards, developing a strong and passionate culture, and emphasizing impact. We value building a culture with strong engineering values and goals because we believe that it is the key to building a great company and product. Interns play an important role in this, as they work alongside full-time employees as equals, working on the same projects that help drive the company and product forward. We expect interns to become valuable contributors to the team, as they work hand-in-hand with people ranging from engineering to design to business development.
We also realize that mentorship is important to allow interns to grow and develop skills in areas which they're looking to improve. For example, every intern will have a full-time engineer as a mentor, and weekly 1:1s with their managers to get feedback and ensure things are going well. We also emphasize code reviews and hold weekly engineering tech talks to maintain high code quality and to optimize for learning the best engineering practices.
- Improve our existing Machine Learning systems using your core expertise
- Identify new opportunities to apply Machine Learning to different parts of the Quora product
- Work with other Machine Learning engineers to implement algorithms and systems in an efficient way
- Pursuing a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field
- Strong understanding of mathematical foundations of Machine Learning algorithms
- Knowledge of Python or C++, or the ability to learn them quickly
- A passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
- Previous software engineering experience via an internship, work experience or coding competition
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure