Our mission at Curai is to make high-quality healthcare accessible to all. We are fulfilling this audacious mission by building a virtual-first primary care service. Blending high-touch clinical care augmented with artificial intelligence, we are building a scalable primary care model that provides patients with quality care anytime, anywhere, from their mobile phones at a very affordable price.
Our company is remote-first and we consider candidates across the United States.
ML Engineering Intern at Curai
We are looking for Machine Learning Engineering interns from strong technical backgrounds, who share our passion to make a positive impact in the lives of millions of people. ML Engineering interns at Curai get to implement novel ML applications to lower the cost of high-quality healthcare and improve clinical outcomes for our patients.
At Curai, ML Engineering interns are mentored 1:1 by experienced ML Engineers and Researchers, and get to collaborate with our clinical team on solving real problems, using real data.
Our current openings are for Fall/Winter 2022.
Our current focus areas include clinical decision making (e.g medical diagnosis in-the-wild and explainability), medical NLP (e.g. medical dialogs in the wild, summarization), and ML learning loops in a healthcare context.
Who You Are: None of these individually are hard requirements but they do describe the type of folks that we think would be most effective and happy at Curai. You…
- Have worked remotely before, or have a strong feeling that you'd work well with a 100% remote team, spread across multiple time zones.
- Thrive in ambiguity and love tackling complex problems that span multiple systems.
- Are excited to try things out to validate new features, and move on if they no longer solve a problem.
- Value breadth of knowledge as much as specialization.
- Have informed opinions that you hold lightly.
- Are excited about getting on the speeding train that is an early-stage startup.
- Enjoy thinking through trade-offs, with both mindfulness of near-term needs and Curai’s long-term strategy.
- Embrace writing concise documentation so that onboarding new team members is simple and we reduce siloed domain expertise by individuals.
- Understand what a startup is and that 1 year here is like 3-4 years in a big company; You will get to work and launch lots of projects, and you have a learning mindset to tackle new challenges.
What You'll Do: A day in the life as a Curai Machine Learning Engineering Intern is spent doing things like:
- Collaborate with experienced ML Engineers to design and develop AI/ML systems serving our patients and our providers.
- Analyze the performance of ML models on complex healthcare applications, in areas such as medical NLP, clinical decision making, ML learning loops, and drive their improvements.
- Deploy, assess, then improve production facing ML models hosted in the cloud.
- Document and present the results of your work to both technical and non-technical audiences across the organization.
Here are blog posts that describe interns’ projects and experiences in their own words: 2021-22, 2020-21.
What You'll Need:
The qualities that have made interns successful at Curai in the past are ownership, agency, and comfort with ambiguity. Prior to your start date, we make it a priority to discuss your goals and balance that with Curai’s needs to craft a suitable project. Due to the fast moving nature of startups and the inherent nature of the problems we are tackling, there is often ambiguity in these internship projects and associated milestones. Successful interns embrace this uncertainty and work with their mentors to understand the problem and take ownership of crafting an iterative solution.
Joining our Team:
Our interview process consists usually of 3 interviews before we decide to make an offer.
Mentor tech screen: In the first call, you will chat with the mentor who is interested in mentoring you. They will discuss your resume, past ML projects and go into a coding screen or ML engineering fundamentals screen. The aim of the ML engineering screen is to assess ML breadth and depth as well as understanding of basic ML concepts. Before your interviews, you will be informed whether you should be prepared for a live coding session.
Second tech screen: You will next speak with another ML Engineer on the team about your past work along with the tech area that wasn’t covered in the first round. (e.g. If the mentor tech screen involved coding, the second round will be about ML Engineering fundamentals).
Hiring Manager wrap-up: This is a final wrap-up call with your potential manager. We typically discuss your career trajectory and goals, possible project areas, feedback on our interview loop, practical learnings in ML and answering any questions that you may have.
What We Offer
Culture: Mission driven talent with great colleagues committed to living our values, collaborating and driving performance
Pay: Competitive compensation
Wellness: Flexible working hours and remote working options
Internship Program: Collaborate with fellow interns in your cohort, participate in professional development session , and engage with Curai-ans in intern-led social events
Curai Health is a startup with a small, but world-class team from high tech companies, AI researchers, practicing physicians, to team members from non-traditional career paths and backgrounds.. We also have research partnerships with leading universities across the country and access to medical data that facilitates research in this space. We are a highly collaborative, data-driven team, focused on delivering our mission with funding from top-tier Silicon Valley investors including Morningside, General Catalyst, and Khosla Ventures.
At Curai Health, we are highly committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment. In keeping with our beliefs and values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. To promote an equitable and bias-free workplace, we set competitive compensation packages for each position and do not negotiate on our offers. We are looking for teammates that are mission-driven, embody our core values, and appreciate our transparent approach.
More Information on Curai Health
Curai Health operates in the Artificial Intelligence industry. The company is located in Palo Alto, CA. Curai Health was founded in 2017. It has 76 total employees. To see all 4 open jobs at Curai Health, click here