Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our open API provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Uber, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Block, to manage payment operations in real-time.
Our team is a mix of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. Marqeta was named a 2022 Glassdoor Best Place to Work, highlighting our company culture and collaborative work environment. We are building a global team as diverse as the markets we serve and we’d love it if you joined us on our mission to change the way money moves.
We’re a remote-first company. You have the choice to work from wherever you’re happiest and most productive, whether that’s from home, a co-working space, or one of our four global offices, depending on your location. It’s uncommon for candidates to match all job requirements, but if you’re not far off, we want to hear from you.
Are you looking to join an innovative organization, powering payments for the next generation of fintech and commerce innovators? Marqeta has built the world’s first open API issuer processor platform from scratch, powering prepaid, debit and credit cards for the most recognizable names in financial technology, alternative lending, on-demand services and e-commerce. Marqeta has become the leader in payment innovation. Our company is comprised of a team of industry experts, a dynamic approach to working on challenging problems, and an open environment and culture that is focused on ideas and innovation.
Not only do we have an inspiring and innovative culture, but only Marqeta can offer you a chance to help redefine the payments industry. As a testament to the company we've collectively built, our world-class team voted Marqeta one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work.
Marqeta is proud of its Oakland roots and strives to build a team as diverse as the cities in which we operate. Underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
We are not expecting any single candidate to have experience under all areas of our requirements section. Please apply if you meet some but not all of the requirements.Position Summary
The Global Expansion Intern supports Marqeta’s efforts to be a global issuer processor. You will work collaboratively cross-functionally with teams to ensure we deliver on our commitment to excellent customer experience. In this role, you will be an individual contributor supporting the New Market Entry Team in all phases of enabling a new market: diligence, enablement, incubation, etc.
Specifically, you will support the research led by our team regarding potential partnerships, market intelligence, and identify product fit and use case relevance. Your work will include networking to build relationships, contributing to presentations, workflow modeling and ensuring our partners, customers and networks fully grasp the value in our platform.
Your passion and attention to detail will help senior members of the team identify and implement internal processes facilitating scale, efficiency and quality. We’re looking for a dynamic, experienced individual contributor who thrives in a fast-paced atmosphere.What You'll Do
This role is about understanding markets and trends, interpreting technology and infrastructure needs, and communicating changes and needs in order to support new markets.
- Customer Focus: You have an incredible passion around always exceeding our customer's expectations. You push yourself to ensure our customers are delighted throughout their journey.
- Transparency and Communication: You are focused on communication of projects whether it's progress or roadblocks, so our team is tightly connected and knows what’s already happened and what’s happening next. You will be generous with your time and energy.
- Problem Solver: You enjoy problem solving, and always thinking outside of the box to find creative solutions to challenges. When things get tough, that's when you excel and rise to meet any obstacle, and get things done!
- Support the New Market Entry Team: From the beginning, you will be expected to jump in and support the team on current initiatives and become familiar with our technology. You’ll get to know our partners and networks in all geographies and how we connect with them.
We’re on the hunt for the following attributes:
- Highly motivated and able to work against aggressive schedules
- Positive attitude, team player, adaptable, resourceful, and self-starter who is able to work independently
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook and a clear focus on high-quality deliverables
- Reliable, tolerant, and determined
- Foundation of integrity and strong character to consistently represent Marqeta’s values
- Superior communication skills (interpersonal, verbal, presentation written, email)
- Embraces a culture of writing and transparency
- We offer competitive pay for all internship roles
- You'll produce meaningful work that will result in a highly competitive portfolio
- You'll have mentors who have a deep understanding of the fintech and payments space, and who are well-versed in product development methodologies
- You'll have access to an open, transparent culture that includes All Hands meetings, Lunch-and-Learns, company off-sites, etc.
- Marqeta supports remote work, working in the office, and a hybrid of both working remote and in office.
Please note: Full-Time employee perks below do not apply for interns at Marqeta.
Benefits and Perks
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Employee insurance premiums paid 100% + coverage for dependents and pets
- Family forming benefits including fertility support and up to 20 weeks Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial coaching, and a Wellness stipend
- Monthly stipend to support our hybrid work model
- Equity in a publicly-traded company
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
Learn more about Marqeta on our Website, Twitter and LinkedIn.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant on any legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Our Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.#LI-Remote