Data Science Intern, Master's/PhD, Summer 2022 at Apeel (Remote)
At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
Since 2012, founder James Rogers has been on a mission to tackle the global Food Waste Crisis with a goal of providing a more sustainable, equitable path forward for the global food system. Apeel is an edible protective layer that extends fruits’ and vegetables’ shelf-life. Apeel-covered fruits and vegetables spoil slower and require less refrigeration, and the plant-derived peel reduces the use of plastic and other products harmful to the planet. Apeel pulls material from the natural skins, peels, seeds, and pulp found on fruits and vegetables, to create the extra protective peel. The thin layer slows down water loss and oxidation, which can help keep those fruits and vegetables from browning and spoiling.
If you are ready for an opportunity to jump in, take ownership, and drive meaningful outcomes in a highly collaborative, communicative, and dynamic environment, we would love to connect with you!
About This Role
As an Apeel Data Scientist, you’ll have the unique opportunity to help improve the produce supply chain. Our team is tasked with organizing, analyzing, and modeling supply chain data to glean meaningful insights and opportunities, as well as building predictive models to automate and streamline business decision-making. Our Data Scientists routinely work cross-functionally with scientific, business strategy, sales, marketing, finance, and software engineering teams to define and execute projects.
We are seeking a motivated Data Science Intern who will support computer vision related research and development projects. The program dates for summer 2022 are from June 13th - August 19th (10 weeks). To qualify for this program applicants must be currently enrolled in an accredited US college or university and reside within the United States for the duration of the internship.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the data science team and stakeholders across the organization to help advance the state-of-the-art in produce analytics and logistics
- Develop actionable data insights that uncover trends, inefficiencies, and opportunities for improving the quality of produce delivered to the end consumer
- Develop data analysis, machine learning, and computer vision projects: query, compile, clean data from multiple sources; unsupervised data analysis (PCA, K-means, etc.); perform statistical analyses on datasets, e.g., hypothesis testing, Bayesian inference, outlier/anomaly detection; build data pipelines and supervised machine learning models; research and develop state-of-the-art computer vision models
- Write and contribute production code to the Apeel software stack
What You Bring
- MS/PhD in Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or other scientific discipline or equivalent industry experience
- Technical expertise in Data Science and machine learning with Python
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-directed and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.