CG Effects Intern at LAIKA, LLC (Portland, OR)
The deadline to submit your application is Friday, April 22, 2022 by 6:00PM PDT
Applications without relevant samples/portfolios/reels will not be considered.
*Please read the job description carefully before applying to ensure that you show proper qualifications and materials to support your application.
The CG Effects Intern will gain valuable “hands-on” production experience and training by working in collaboration with our skilled professionals. As an intern, you will have the unique opportunity to work with an award winning VFX department and explore all aspects of our animation process. Interns are supported and challenged as they benefit from renowned stop-motion animation expertise. Specifically, the CG Effects Intern will work with CG artists to create Character and Environment FX, and elements for lighting and compositing to support the visual style and narrative of the film.
- Create the look of simple computer-generated FX and elements through shot production.
- Perform simple technical work in support of shot production using various production tools.
- Assist the Modeling, Texturing, Lighting and Compositing teams.
- Assist in troubleshooting creative and technical issues.
- Currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior in college, or graduated within the last 12 months, with a focus in Computer Animation, Fine Arts, Media Arts, Computer Science, or other relevant area of study.
- Experience with Houdini and the pyro tools to simulate smoke, fire, and explosions (experience with newer version of Houdini 18 or 18.5, preferred).
- Basic knowledge of Houdini's rigid body dynamics, a plus.
- Basic knowledge of Katana and Nuke.
- Experience with effects such as steam, clouds, and water fluid dynamics. Experience with crowds, a plus.
- Basic knowledge of Pixar's Universal Scene Description (USD), a plus.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented; excellent communication skills, attitude, and work ethic.
- Effectively prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently.Page Break
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate.
$15.00/hour set rate, non-negotiable.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement.