Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re high growth? In January 2021, Whatnot had 10 ambitious employees. Today, the Whatnot team is 120+ employees and will exceed 300 by year end. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.📈 Opportunity Size
The ecommerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is one of the largest opportunities for disruption in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $170B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!About the People Team
The purpose of the Whatnot People Team is to empower Whatnauts (what we adoringly call our Whatnot employees!) to be their authentic selves, do their best work, and continuously develop in pursuit of ensuring Whatnot can achieve our ambitious goals. We relentlessly prioritize the Whatnaut people experience to enable autonomy, create a safe, inclusive environment, and empower their success.💻 Role
As a Senior People Business Partner, you will be a strategic partner to key C Suite leaders in support of the organization’s people strategy. You’ll be a part of a passionate team that helps drive People programs and processes, organizational design and development, and be a trusted advisor to high level leaders and management in support of empowering Whatnauts to do their best work as we continue to grow.
- Provide leadership and management coaching on both day to day and long term opportunities and challenges to help the team operate most effectively, ensure an exceptional employee experience, and support achievement of organizational goals
- Collaborate on all people-related strategy and decisions including organizational design, planning, and development
- Provide ongoing guidance to managers for all employee relations matters including complex performance and behavior management and investigations in addition to supporting and responding to employee complaints in a timely manner and partner with external legal counsel as needed
- Drive the People Processes for your organization including compensation cycles, feedback, talent management, and workforce planning.
- Partner with the Centers of Excellence including Learning & Development, Total Rewards, and People Operations to provide input into design and delivery of people programs and processes.
- Leverage data and relationships throughout the business to proactively identify and address talent issues before they impact the business, including attrition risk
- Own end-to-end change management process and planning associated with reorgs/role adjustments, leadership announcements, and changes to strategic direction.
- Support Manager Development in the areas of inclusive behaviors, team effectiveness, and strategic management
- Design and lead org-specific people initiatives and projects
- Drive diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout all of our people team programs and initiatives
- Utilize engagement surveys and related people data to provide guidance and recommendations around strategy as it relates to culture, people growth and retention, performance, and org wide development opportunities
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next PBP, you should have 10+ years of partnering with all levels of an organization in a remote environment and:
- 7+ years experience supporting higher level (VP/GM+) leaders
- Partnership mindset, and ability to build trust and rapport within the organization including leadership, management, and employees
- Experience working in a fast-paced, hyper growth organization with a track record of being action-oriented, proactive, and working iteratively
- Ability to manage highly sensitive information and situations with a high level of integrity and attention to detail
- Capability to communicate effectively within a remote-first environment
- Ability to prioritize deliverables and maintain a strong understanding of and connection to business goals
Nice to Have…
- Master's Degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field
- Human Resources Professional Certification (e.g., PHR, SPHR, SHRM)
- Remote-first culture
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and No Meeting Holidays
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working spaces
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on Food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for Wellness
- Paid Parental Leave
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Whatnot provides a $20,000 annual allowance towards Nannies, Daycare, and Caregiving support
- Up to $500 monthly to spend within Whatnot App
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.