Senior Manager, Contingent Workforce at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
We are looking for a resourceful Sr. Manager, Contingent Workforce to support our business-centric, collaborative, and motivated team. We are successfully pioneering a better way to work by enabling businesses and freelancers across the globe to connect, work together, and grow their professional success. You will work across the company to help drive strategy, compliance and education for our internal contingent workforce program (Talent Innovation Program). Are you a talented influencer and thrive in rapidly changing environments? Do you seek the ability to drive operational excellence and have a talent for creative problem solving? If you said yes to any of these, you’ll be able to make a meaningful contribution in this role.Work/Project Scope:
- Partner with internal teams and external vendors to lead the end-to-end contingent workforce process (selection to onboarding/offboarding) and you will drive opportunities for improvement to keep the tools, practice and process relevant and effective
- Communicate and elevate awareness of the Talent Innovation Program. Lead program education efforts and provide extraordinary customer service to ensure program adoption and compliance
- Advise, influence, and provide thought leadership on the current contingent workforce experience and anticipate future needs for the program
- Define the approach to contingent workforce management based on external and internal bench-marking of best practices, and collaborate with business leaders to continually reassess program, process, and policies
- Establish and report on performance metrics for all TIP activities including: program usage and compliance, service level targets, payment terms, savings, and spend under the program
- Identify areas of compliance risk and proactively partner with HR and Legal teams to drive solutions
- Demonstrated contingent workforce experience (including experience building and scaling global programs)
- Superior relationship/stakeholder management and consultative skills
- Strong understanding of independent contractor legal standards to make classification determinations, write compliant project descriptions, ensure proper contracting, and identify risk warranting legal advice
- Expertise in Google suite, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and VMS
- Working knowledge of U.S. employment law requirements and application of international employment law advice
- You're passionate about data when it comes to identifying trends/issues and driving improved decision-making and outcomes
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.