Who We Are:
We are Zearn, and we are on a mission to ensure that all children love and learn math!
Zearn is the nonprofit educational organization behind Zearn Math, the top-rated math learning platform used by 1 in 4 elementary students nationwide. We support teachers with research-backed curriculum and digital lessons proven to double the learning gains of a typical year of instruction. Zearn Math instructional materials - including 400+ hours of digital math learning - are free for teachers and families. Zearn also offers school and district-wide licenses and professional development to support implementation.
Everything we do is driven by the belief that every kid can be a math kid. Learn more about us at www.Zearn.org.
We are looking for a talented, multi-tasking People Operations Associate to help coordinate and execute People processes across the organization and will help to maintain a positive team member experience for candidates, hiring managers, and team members alike. The person in this role will act as a “go-to” for team members on day-to-day People-related inquiries, and will use insights from those relationships to suggest ways to streamline processes and improve the experience for all stakeholders. This role will play an integral part in supporting and building our People Operations efforts as we scale. This role will report directly to the Director of People Operations.
What This Role Will Do:
Recruiting and Onboarding:
- Create a positive hiring experience for all candidates through timely and friendly email communications - in many cases, you’ll be their first point of contact and a great resource throughout the onboarding process!
- You'll work as part of the People Ops team to onboard new employees and support key activities that contribute to a successful employee experience. These activities include verification of employment, background checks, updating employee files (incoming/outgoing team members), maintaining our org chart, sexual harassment policy acknowledgement, and vaccination tracking. These activities must be accurate and filed in a timely manner.
- Support recruiting efforts as needed (scheduling phone screens, virtual interviews, handling last minute cancellations with professionalism, and posting jobs).
- Serve as the point of contact for team members questions around benefits, policies, and programs, maintaining confidentiality as necessary. You will work to find solutions, communicate with the team members, and escalate when necessary. Partner with our leave administrator, ADP, to support team member leaves of absences.
- Provide administrative support to the People Ops team with benefits & payroll and prepare relevant reporting as needed.
- Maintain and update confidential team member data in our HRIS system (ADP), and assist with auditing and reporting for accuracy and compliance.
- Assist People Ops with the development and implementation of People-related policies and processes to ensure organizational adherence to federal, state and local employment laws, as well as industry-specific compliance requirements.
- Provide support on ad-hoc People Ops initiatives & projects as needed.
- Help to organize, streamline and strengthen our internal processes as we continue to scale.
- Own and create recurring reporting metrics utilizing newly implemented HR technology to analyze critical employee data. Some examples of these metrics include total headcount, turnover, employee demographics, and training/development tracking.
What You’ll Bring To The Role:
- 2+ years professional experience in an HR or People Operations Assistant or Coordinator role demonstrating operational excellence and a customer service mindset
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, and easily shift between competing priorities
- Able to build strong rapport with team members at all levels of the organization using discretion and sound judgment when handling sensitive and confidential matters
- Strong verbal & written communication skills
- An operational mindset and love to find new ways to improve systems and automate processes where possible
- Curiosity about the “why” and “how” of things and a passion for learning more about the work you do
- A can-do attitude with a flexible and collaborative approach to getting things done
- Desire to work on a team that strives for diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging
- A commitment to Zearn’s mission of providing an exceptional education to all children
- Inspiration from living Zearn’s values: United, Honest, Impactful, Enterprising, Industrious, Responsive
- A desire to join an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment at a high-growth organization
- The willingness to comply with Zearn's vaccination (subject to legally valid exemptions) and Personal Protective Equipment policies
Bonus points for:
- Experience using an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and other recruitment software (we use Workable)
- Familiarity with onboarding, benefits, or HRIS platforms (we use ADP, but any experience here is a plus!)
- Knowledge of GSuite (Google Docs, Sheets, etc.) and can easily collaborate on projects
- Experience with hosting or leading virtual culture initiatives and are not afraid of being “camera-on”
This role is remote, however we prefer a candidate in the within commute to our mid-town Manhattan office. If you are remote you may be asked to travel to our office periodically for team building.
Compensation & Benefits:
The expected salary range for this role is $ $65,000 - 75,000
We offer a competitive benefits package, including comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 401K matching, parental leave, and a generous PTO policy. We also offer a collegial and passionate culture and the potential to positively impact the lives of millions of children.
Zearn is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.