Payroll & Benefits Specialist at Inspire
Inspire is a clean energy technology company on a mission to transform the way consumers access clean energy and to accelerate the world’s transition to a net-zero carbon future.
We provide our customers with access to renewable energy from wind, solar, and hydro powered sources without service interruptions or costly installations at a flat, predictable monthly rate. For every year that a customer spends with Inspire Clean Energy, they have a greater impact on climate change than 10 years of strict recycling.
Our rapidly growing team of mission-driven, climate enthusiasts is passionate, innovative and committed to a better future for the planet.
Inspire’s People Operations Team is seeking a Senior Associate, Payroll and Benefits, who will be an exceptional addition to our growing team. As a Senior Associate of Payroll and Benefits at Inspire, you will adopt a “payroll and benefits as a product” approach to building and iterating on payroll and benefits best practices to enable our Avengers to do world-class work and crush their goals, live our values and accelerate our mission. Under limited supervision, the Senior Associate of Payroll and Benefits will perform activities related to the company’s payroll, benefits, and people operations processes. This role will be Inspire’s subject matter expert with all payroll, benefits, and people operations administration.
THE SR ASSOCIATE, PAYROLL & BENEFITS HAS 6 MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Payroll Processing: Processes payroll efficiently and accurately: Responsible for full cycle payroll processing which includes: new hire processing, time entry, payroll register reconciliation, reporting, and taxes. Manages the development, implementation and delivery of various payroll services while providing high quality results.
- Payroll Reporting: Collects payroll, benefits data and compiles data for reports; identifies and researches payroll issues, and recommends solutions; prepares and distributes required reports.
- Audits & Maintains Payroll Records: Partners with the Finance team to audit payroll records, leaves of absences, and wage & hour regulations ensuring accurate processing and to minimize potential risks.
- Compliance & Legislative Updates: Ensure processes and procedures are in compliance with state and federal requirements. Proactively recommend solutions for upcoming changes in legislation related to payroll practices and processes.
- People Operations Systems Administration: Manages and maintains Inspire’s HRIS, Payroll, and Time and Attendance platforms. Partners with Inspire's third party HRIS vendor to mitigate system errors, and collaborates with key stakeholders to implement updates and new functionalities.
- Benefits Administration: Administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations. Plans, conducts and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate. Works closely with Finance for quarterly and year end payroll and benefits audits. Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required. Processes monthly billings from providers. Reviews billings for accuracy and approves for payment in a timely manner. Resolves discrepancies with carriers and payroll. Administers benefits for FSA, DCA, and COBRA including enrollments, changes, and terminations.
- Point of Contact for Payroll and Benefits Information Requests: Employs a customer service mindset to resolve employee or agency questions and requests in a timely and thoughtful manner.
SOME YEAR 1 DELIVERABLES
- Implement a payroll and benefits standard operating procedures manual that outlines processes for both payroll and benefits administration.
- Evaluate and recommend a comprehensive and efficient process for Inspire’s multi-state workforce, including but not limited to timekeeping, data entry, and reconciliation of payroll.
- Gather requirements and mitigate risks for entry into new states for both exempt and non-exempt hires.
- Implement policies and processes for Inspire’s multi-state operations related to remote work and relocation.
- Accurate and timely payroll processing with minimal errors.
- Demonstrate SME level knowledge and gain the confidence of the business.
- Implement payroll and benefits systems and processes that are efficient.
- Implement systems and processes for self-service for Avengers, managers, and administrators to elevate the overall user experience.
- Analytical - exceptional analytical skills, strong communication and organization skills.
- Organized - Ability to complete multiple tasks and high volume of work on deadlines. Excellent time management, organizational, and follow-through skills. Proven ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests for and to provide excellent service.
- Detailed - Strong attention to detail and ability to edit and proofread. Possess a creative outlook with a problem-solving attitude.
- Conscientious - organized and diligent around policy and procedure, taking care to ensure compliance and full resolution
- Methodical - gains energy from a repeated behavior, consistently follows a process, is predictable and reliable
- Confident - quickly establishes themselves as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert
- Inquisitive - ask questions to understand and gain perspective
- Must Have
- 3+ years of experience in processing a bi-monthly payroll for a mixed non-exempt and exempt workforce, and multi-state payroll processing experience.
- Strong knowledge of wage and hour compliance under FLSA
- Experience in HRIS and Payroll systems implementation.
- Experience with wage garnishments.
- Strong understanding of Payroll, Finance, and HR functions and interdependencies with other functions.
- Experience working with large internal sales teams and understanding bonus and commission plans.
- Possess a high degree of integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information.
- Self-starter with ability to work with little direction and produce results.
- Nice to Have
- Experience working with a Professional Employer Organization (PEO), preferably TriNet
- HRIS implementation experience with vendors such as: ADP, PayCom, Paylocity, and Paychex.
- Experience in conducting front and back end benefits open enrollments.