Diversity & Inclusion Director at CNA
The Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Director partners with internal and external stakeholders to promote and advance CNA's D&I objectives across the enterprise. Working collaboratively with cross functional teams and leaders, this role develops and executes programs and initiatives that increase the representation of diverse talent and foster a culture of inclusion.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Supports the company's D&I Council in both a strategic and operational capacity, and at the direction of the D&I Council Chair. Leverages thought leadership and research to develop recommendations on (and plans for) current and future D&I strategy, programs, and metrics. Partners with the Council Chair to prepare monthly meeting agendas and to drive post-meeting actions and communications.
- With oversight from the D&I Council, develops and manages the D&I budget and ensures expenditures are within established parameters, emphasizing cost efficiencies.
- Provides D&I subject matter expertise, advice and counsel as business units and functions (e.g., Human Resources, Corporate Communications, and Corporate Social Responsibility) pursue new and/or enhanced D&I programs and initiatives. Influences the organizational objectives of D&I efforts and actively participates in their design and deployment.
- Monitors internal and external workforce trends, including legal developments impacting policy and the recruitment and retention of talent. Recommends strategies to improve CNA's standing as a top employer.
- Oversees, and serves as primary relationship manager to, CNA's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). Develops and manages ERG governance protocols and annual ERG budget and performance processes. Supports the development and execution of ERG events, engaging the D&I Council as appropriate. Ensures seamless onboarding and professional development for ERG leaders.
- May represent the Company on diversity-related issues at external conferences, professional associations, and business meetings. May serve as a liaison to identified external organizations for which CNA has a strategic D&I partnership.
- Analyze and assist in the development of internal and external D&I communications. Manages the company's internal D&I email address, responding to employee inquiries on D&I matters.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
VP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In-depth understanding of D&I concepts and principles and how it relates to other disciplines across HR and the business. Is passionate about issues of equity and inclusion.
- Ability to inspire and motivate others to create positive change.
- Strong experience working with cross functional teams and leaders, with a solid ability to influence.
- Strong awareness of current trends and literature regarding diversity work.
- Understands organizational dynamics and is proficient at planning and organizing enterprise wide events.
- Proven experience developing and implementing D&I programing, including programs targeted for specific populations.
- Strong communication and diplomacy skills to guide and influence others, particularly colleagues in other business areas.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, with a Master's preferred, in a related discipline, or equivalent.
- Typically a minimum of ten years of related work experience, with at least 3 years leading and facilitating large-scale programs and initiatives.