Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
As the Director of Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging, your focus will be on cascading our company-wide DIBs strategy to the departmental level. You will comb data and cultivate collaborations that enable leaders to translate their aspirations to actions in pursuit of diversity as an outcome. This role is located remotely in one of our 15 nexus states or in one of our offices, located in Chicago or San Francisco.Your Responsibilities:
- Nurture and evolve departmental culture – Partner with departmental leaders and HRBPs to drive strategic initiatives and interventions that integrate DIBs as a foundation of departmental growth
- Uplevel ERGs - Collaborate with our compensated ERG Sponsors to moonshot solutions to data-driven barriers to our DIBs vision: dignity, purpose, community and fairness at the center of every working moment
- Grow DIBs program portfolio - Leverage quantitative and qualitative data to nurture and grow our portfolio of community building, professional development and career accelerator programs
- Frontier Hybrid Inclusion - Partner with Hybrid Workforce Solutions to develop a point of view and devise compliant tactical approaches for tailoring DIBs effort to contingent workers
- Report, forecast and advise - Partner with Head of DIBs and Director of People Ops to establish appropriate metrics and dashboards to track progress and execution of defined long-term dept.-level efforts
- Manage inclusively - Manage a small team currently comprised of a Sr. Learning Manager, ERG Manager and Program Coordinator
- Support ESG - Partner with ESG Sr. Learning Manager to set a roadmap for the “Social” aspect of ESG
- Passion and depth for drawing insights from people data
- Demonstrated experience as a trusted advisor to departmental leaders
- Ability to operate strategically and translate strategy into operational plans
- Exemplary program and project management skills with ability to oversee and deliver across multiple tasks & deadlines
- Change management experience
- Ability to influence others without direct authority to achieve solutions to meet organization’s objectives
- Proactivity in providing solutions, resolving issues, and overcoming hurdles to deliver results
- Agility in taking non linear paths to shared outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with an ability to flex communication styles to effectively partner with different stakeholders
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- People management experience on a DIBs or HR team
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.