Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
Security is a core value at Credit Karma. We help millions of people better manage their credit. Safeguarding their sensitive information is essential to our continued success. From the CEO down to each engineer, everyone views security as a personal responsibility.
Credit Karma is looking for a results-oriented VP to advise our rapidly expanding Fraud team. This position will report directly to our Chief Security Officer and will be responsible for advising on building strategic capabilities of the fraud team to proactively detect and prevent fraudulent activity within our rapidly growing member network.
A successful leader in this role will have superb verbal and written communication skills with an analytical approach to problem solving. The candidate must be comfortable working with ambiguity, making recommendations to senior management, and delivering results on highly demanding timelines. This role requires a meticulous attention to detail, excellent project management skills, and a desire to consistently make things better.
What you'll do:
- Design and advise on a scalable and efficient organizational structure for the fraud team that maximizes the skills of the team and optimizes fraud-related processes
- Create comprehensive fraud detection strategies and business procedures based on data and analysis that balance fraud prevention and customer experience
- Enhance fraud systems and processes using industry-leading tools to proactively identify high-risk activities within the member network and quickly investigate
- Develop relationships and work with key partners across Product, Engineering, Data Analytics, Operations, Member Services and other internal teams to effectively manage fraud risk programs
- Build strong collaborative relationships with partners and agencies to exchange observations, best practices, and address fraud-related issues
- Work closely with the Engineering team to build fraud solutions directly into products
- Lead root cause analysis to identify opportunities to prevent fraudulent access to our network
- Use deep analytics to improve existing fraud strategies that reduce false positive rates and increase fraud detection rates
- Extract and analyze data, investigate data integrity, create metrics and perform data and portfolio analysis
- Produce fraud metrics to show the performance of the fraud team and systems for use in management reporting
- Support the team by being an expert on fraud and leading discussions with partners on fraud mitigation strategies
- Build and use machine learning models for fraud detection to prioritize investigations efforts
What's great about the role:
- You will build and grow an inspired team in a nimble environment
- Get ready to build new programs in a growth environment
- This role will have an outsized impact pioneering a new program
Minimum Basic Requirement:
- 15+ years of experience in banking and finance in a fraud, risk, or compliance role
- Experience at a FinTech company in an executive role, such as Chief Risk Officer or VP Risk
- Experience in building and scaling operational teams
- Deep understanding of financial fraud -- from ACH Fraud, Kiting, Check Fraud to Card Fraud and New Account Fraud to Anti-Money Laundering to Synthetic Identities
- Strong organizational and process management skills.
- Strong relationships in the banking industry and government to maintain best practices and collaborate with industry experts and professionals
- Strong knowledge of BSA, AML, OFAC, US Patriot Act, Red Flags Rule, Reg E and related laws
- Expert knowledge of KYC processes and implementations
- BA/BS degree in relevant major or equivalent practical experience
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance or similar ordinances.
COVID-19 update: Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a career at Credit Karma is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process. Moving forward, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to share proof of that status prior to their first day of onboarding. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Credit Karma may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies:
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)