Underwriting Specialist - Management Liability (Public) at CNA
** This role can be located in either New York City, the East Coast or Texas**
Seeking a highly-motivated, qualified professional responsible for the overall management, new business development, and retention of a multifaceted management liability book of business on our Public Management Liability team in the New York City area, East Coast or Texas. Technical expertise in underwriting specialty lines of business preferred (D&O, EPL, Fiduciary, Crime and Kidnap/Ransom and Extortion). Under general management direction, works within broad limits of authority on assignments requiring a high degree of technical complexity and coordination. May have regional industry segment or company-wide scope.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Reviews applications and financial requirements for risks requiring complex underwriting skills. Determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards. Also determines the need for additional evidence of insurability and appropriate strategy.
- Determines appropriate pricing based on financial and competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements.
- Prepares quotes and answers questions from agencies policyholders or other external contacts and escalates issues to management along with proposed solutions as necessary. Negotiates with agents to reach positive and profitable outcomes.
- Notifies agencies of adverse underwriting decisions rate appeals underwriting requirements status and declinations.
- Analyzes quality quantity and profitability of risks underwritten and prepares reports for management review.
- Markets products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community and makes field visits. Develops and maintains agency and/or broker relationships.
- May provide guidance and assistance to other underwriters and to other functional areas particularly when related to cross-sell opportunities.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations industry activity and trends and freely shares information with others.
- Utilizes advanced functionality in relevant CNA systems to perform day-to-day activities.
- Works with more senior underwriters or management on risks exceeding authority level or requiring special handling.
Skills Knowledge and Abilities
1. Strength in Financial Analysis
2. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
3. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
4. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
5. Technical expertise in underwriting skill and knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles practices and procedures a plus.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Prior underwriting experience of at least 3 years