Individual contributor responsible for the overall management, business development, analysis and monitoring of a book of Alternative Risk of the highest complexity. Primary types of risks will include Matching Deductibles – includes a deductible equal to the policy's per claim limit of liability and Reinsurance Programs – the policy is fully reinsured by an acceptable carrier, typically via a captive insurance company. This individual will be recognized as the most senior level, technical expert in an underwriting specialty. Responsible for using technical, sales and analytical skills to provide insurance solutions that help CNA's customers manage risk. Responsible for the profitable growth of book of business, In conjunction with senior level management, works within the broadest limits of authority requiring the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. May have national or company-wide scope of responsibility in specialty area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Works with senior management on the most complex underwriting risks employing advanced diagnostic and systematic analysis to assess acceptability. Develops specialized endorsement language for the most complex risks.
- Determines appropriate pricing of the most complex risks in association with the actuarial department and compliance for assigned book of business based on financial and competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements.
- Participates with senior management in the development and implementation of underwriting policy, marketing and business strategy.
- Interprets corporate strategies and initiatives to tailor the company's approach based upon the assigned territory. Builds consensus within the organization for such an approach.
- Analyzes quality, quantity, and profitability of the most complex risks underwritten, and presents reports to senior management.
- Markets products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community and makes field visits.
- Develops and maintains agency and/or broker relationships, particularly with the largest key customers in assigned territory, to assure positive and profitable outcomes on the most complex, high-risk business.
- Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May represent the company in industry trade groups. Freely shares knowledge and expertise with others.
- Mentors and guides less experienced underwriters and assists in the development of underwriting training.
- Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- The highest level of technical and product specific expertise, underwriting skill and knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
2. Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects.
4. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
7. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
8. Demonstrated leadership skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum ten years underwriting experience with proven track record of results.