CNA's Commercial Middle Markets team provides standard lines commercial property and casualty insurance products such as General Liability, Property, Inland Marine, Commercial Auto, Workers' Compensation, and Umbrella to businesses of all sizes. Our Middle Markets team underwrites a diverse mix of business and industry classes including Manufacturing, Professional Services, Construction, Financial Institutions, Healthcare, Real-estate, Distributors, Technology, Wholesale, and Retail. Typical account sizes start at $50,000 and up in premium on a multi-line basis.
Under broad supervision responsible for underwriting risk for the underwriting lifecycle from submission through policy issuance for both renewal and new business within limited authority for the Middle Market Segements book. Partnering with Underwriters on all aspects of the Underwriting function including: providing the necessary information to allow for UW to make prudent underwriting decisions.
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Performs underwriting analysis and documentation to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards for renewal and new business within assigned Letter of Underwriting Authority.
2. Handles endorsement requests within delegated authority. Refers endorsements outside of authority to underwriter with recommended action. Independently engages agency to clarify intent of endorsement or seek missing information.
3. Handles assigned renewal book within assigned authority and demonstrates the ability to triage renewal applications/specs and formulate next steps for the underwriter with outlined changes or points of attention for accounts outside authority.
4. Works as a liaison within the branch or across CNA to resolve issues (billing and collections risk control underwriting guidance from cabinet members line of business underwriting services subject matter experts)
5. Documents assigned files ensuring completeness compliance and quality (correspondence proposals endorsements cancellations etc.).
6. Executes on advanced pricing strategy (i.e. business unit pricing tools) on behalf of the Underwriter in compliance with regulatory and CNA specific underwriting strategies and demonstrates ability to document pricing rationale
7. Completes quote proposals and negotiates with external partners within assigned authority.
8. Leveraged as the first-line point of contact to the producers/customers on account related matters while proactively identifying opportunities for up sell or account rounding.
9. Assist in marketing products and services through external partners and makes field visits.
10. Expert on systems and workflows. Serves as a resource to others (train problem solver coach ) and conduit for feedback to internal underwriting partners.
11. Keeps current on line of business strategy state/territory issues regulations and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Supervisor or Manager
Skills Knowledge & Abilities
1. Knowledge of Property and Casualty underwriting including insurance products policy processing procedures and documentation.
2. Strong time management and analytical skills
3. Strong interpersonal and communications skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple tasks.
5. Strong capability to advise and coach others.
6. Demonstrated customer service experience and the ability to interact with a wide-variety of people on a daily basis in person via telephone and email.
7. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Typically a minimum of three years of related work experience.