Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Financial Operations
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and finance space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Technical Accounting Manager
Gemini is seeking a motivated leader with a drive to operate in a high-growth environment and strong experience in technical accounting. The position will be an entrusted cross-functional business partner supporting the Finance department and specific products at Gemini. The ideal candidate has excellent attention to detail, experience with complex accounting topics, and an ability to communicate complex ideas with a wide array of stakeholders.
- Research authoritative literature and provide technical accounting guidance on complex blockchain-based transactions as it relates to review of new product launches or new contracts
- Subject matter expert in revenue recognition (ASC 606), business combinations (ASC 805), equity and debt (ASC 718, 550, 480), financial instruments (ASC 815), fair value measurements (ASC 820)
- Prepare technical accounting memorandums for significant transactions
- Facilitate trainings on relevant accounting topics to Gemini personnel
- Assist in operationalizing new/complex transactions and function as a liaison for Fin Ops with various business partners on new initiatives including considering impacts on operational accounting
- Lead implementation of new accounting standards and monitor emerging accounting standards during the exposure draft period to interpret impact to Gemini, i.e. ASC 842 or ASC 326
- Develop new / enhance existing accounting policies and procedures, and internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR).
- Be an essential part of the annual audit with both internal and external auditors, the accounting team, and executive management
- Ad-hoc projects
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting / finance.
- 8+ years of experience, preferably Big4 and fin-tech or financial service industry experience
- CPA (or equivalent) required
- Comprehensive and current understanding of US GAAP, including recently issued accounting pronouncements, and SEC reporting principles and regulations
- Able to work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work autonomously and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience working through ambiguity to communicate clear accounting positions and operational solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Basic knowledge of blockchain technology and the crypto industry
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.