This Tax Consultant role is a full-time employee who will support most aspects of the income tax life cycle, including the preparation of consolidated federal and state income tax returns, quarterly financial statement tax provisions, and all other tax processes supporting federal and state tax return filings. This role will have the general knowledge to support areas of tax research, taxing authority examinations, tax accounting and reporting, and return-to-provision calculations with a moderate level of direction and guidance. The Tax Consultant plays a vital role in the day to day operations of the Tax Division.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in the completion of the consolidated Federal and State Corporate Income Tax Returns, including preparing pro-forma returns within Corptax software, calculating book to tax differences and estimated tax calculations, and supporting analytics.
- Support the income tax accounting and reporting for the quarterly and annual financial statement filings, including utilizing software to calculate tax provisions, preparing journal entries, tracking deferred tax inventory, and analyzing tax account rollforwards.
- Perform other tax life-cycle processes by supporting the preparation of other federal and state compliance filing requirements.
- Support or prepare tax research as assigned.
- Provide fresh perspective on tax processes and identify potential improvements, including the use of tax technology and automation, where applicable.
- Support tax technology initiatives focused on the development and enhancement of processes.
- Collaborate with Tax Division peers to address tax issues and meet organizational objectives.
- Stay abreast of technical developments with the US taxation of domestic corporations including provisions specific to the insurance industry.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Working knowledge of C Corporation taxation in general, including experience with newly enacted tax legislation. Exposure to insurance taxation is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and related pronouncements including Accounting Standards Codification Topic 740: Income Taxes. Exposure to statutory accounting principles and Statement of Statutory Accounting Principles No. 101 is a plus.
- Curious mindset, courage to ask questions.
- Solid tax research skills.
- Solid computer skills with a focus toward automated solutions and improved operational outcomes. Corptax software experience is a plus, in addition to Workday general ledger platform experience.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively describe tax issues.
- Results oriented with the ability to solve problems and work independently and/or in a team environment, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills.
- Solid organizational and planning skills.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting. Master of Science in Taxation degree is a plus.
- Certified Public Accountant designation preferred or in progress.
- Minimum 2-5 years of public or corporate tax experience. Exposure to Insurance Industry is a plus.