Summer 2022 Underwriting Trainee - Financial Lines (Chicago) at CNA
CNA boasts a diverse network of more than 6,000 professionals with eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including: African American Employee Networking Group (AAENG), Asian American and Pacific Islander Employee Network (AAPI), Growing Professionals @CNA, Organization of Hispanic Latinx [email protected] (OHLA), [email protected], Women Impacting Leadership (WIL), Advocacy for Visible & Invisible [email protected] (AVID), and [email protected]
CNA's Financial Lines team offers a rewarding career path to individuals with a wide range of professional degrees, skill sets and experiences.
If learning more about financial markets, how sophisticated companies operate and understanding the corporate legal environment is of interest to you, this may a great opportunity!
Financial Lines underwriters work with lines of business such as Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Crime and Fiduciary, Errors & Omissions, Management/Professional Liability, and Cyber. You will be working with a team of underwriters who will provide you with the guidance and training to ensure a long term, successful career in the insurance industry. Our company and our team values diversity of thought, collaboration, individual leadership initiative and a natural curiosity to learn.
Our training will provide:
- Instruction on Financial Lines insurance basics, financial analysis, corporate and regulatory risk assessment, sales and marketing skills, systems and technical training
- Direction on best practices for how to research and assess corporate business and legal documents.
- Guidance on how to personally engage with C-suite level executives at the corporations you'll be underwriting.
- Guidance on how to balance new business sales opportunities while managing existing accounts.
- Hands on experience to learn to be an effective negotiator and build strong relationships
- Instructor-led training, testing, self-study courses, Web-based training and practical application
- Opportunities to interact with senior leadership
We offer an opportunity for you to work with other underwriting, risk control and claim consultants to meet the evolving insurance needs of our clients. CNA's underwriters are responsible for selecting and pricing risks that have profit potential. The process requires underwriters to evaluate a business by reviewing industry, business and government data and then deciding whether to accept or decline the risk. The underwriter is also responsible for pricing, as well as maintaining a steady flow of new and renewal business.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree strongly preferred; equivalent experience considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Commitment to develop knowledge and understanding of underwriting
- Strong sales aptitude
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills, good verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to learn rapidly
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to influence, overcome obstacles and develop positive business relationships
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future
CNA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or veteran status in employment opportunities.