Sr. Accountant, Corporate Accounting, Personnel at Warner Bros. Discovery (Atlanta, GA)
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery... the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are...
When we say, "the stuff dreams are made of," we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next...
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role
Key WDB Corporate Accounting leadership position focusing on personnel accounting and other Corporate functions. The position requires strong technical accounting skills and making critical decisions on accounting treatment and processes to comply with WBD accounting standards and ensuring that the books and records of the company are maintained in compliance with US GAAP. This position works closely with the PWC auditors, senior executives, and the accounting policy team to resolve complex accounting issues. Scope of responsibilities impact all Reporting Segments of WBD including Studios, DTC, Networks and Corporate. The position has frequent interaction with senior leaders in Accounting, Finance, Tax, Treasury and Operations.
Your Role Accountabilities
- Perform monthly close process and prepare entries and adjustments for the corporate accounting function. Areas of focus include but not limited to the Company's deferred compensation plans, pensions, and consolidated joint ventures and requires constant communications with Accounting, Finance, Tax, Treasury and Operations with results that impact all segments of WBD.
- Ensure financial controls are performed effectively including ownership of SOX controls relating to personnel and joint venture accounting. Mange multiple close deadlines across 4 ERP systems. Frequent interaction with external and internal auditors evaluating controls and testing balances. Responsible for performing robust and timely balance sheet reconciliations and completion of SEC supplemental schedules for footnote disclosures
- Provide support and ad hoc requests for personnel and joint venture activity to senior Finance and Accounting leaders. Maintain a collaborative and pro-active communications with business partners while maintaining integrity and compliance with WBD accounting policies.
- Assist and be a key contributor on ad hoc corporate accounting and reporting projects.
Qualifications & Experience
- 3+ years in relevant accounting experience (industry or public)
- Financial closing, consolidations, reporting and planning experience
- Experience of accounting for deferred compensation plans, pensions, and redeemable and non-redeemable non-controlling interest.
- Strong understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP) and SOX requirements
- BS/BA in related discipline from an accredited university
- CPA required
- Strong US GAAP accounting knowledge with experience interpreting and implementing technical accounting guidance to non-routine transactions
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, proactive, deadline-oriented.
- Initiative, independent problem-solving abilities, ownership of work product, and strong leadership qualities
- In-depth experience with process analysis and improvement.
- Strong multi-tasking skills with the ability to manage the accounting activities for multiple diverse businesses.
- Strong execution skills, advanced analytical skills, and significant technical accounting skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to articulate key information.
- Unceasing curiosity and the courage to challenge the status quo.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- 4-year degree in accounting or finance
- Master's degree and/or CPA is preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Technical accounting research.
- Blend of both public and industry experience.
- Intercompany Accounting experience preferred
- PeopleSoft Financials, Oracle, SAP, Hyperion, or any ERP systems.
- Media industry.
How We Get Things Done...
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits...
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].