LivePerson is a transformational force in how brands and consumers communicate. With over 18,000 brands, including HSBC, Verizon, and Home Depot, we are on a mission to make life easier for people and brands everywhere through trusted Conversational AI. We believe in a future where conversations are the norm for getting your intentions fulfilled - whatever they are.
We are an innovative, intent-driven company that believes in building the future and we are looking for growth minded, unconventional thinkers, developers and builders to join the team.
You will thrive here if:
You can operate in a fast paced, dynamic environment
You can build partnerships that move our business forward
You see feedback or failure as motivation to learn and to grow
You believe data-driven decision making is the norm
You relate to our core principles (link) and want to work with Conversational AI experts
This role will be part of our Taxonomy team, within the Data Science and Analytics organization under Live Person’s Chief Scientist. This person's job would be to create and manage taxonomies and ontologies for classifying messages and events in conversational commerce. These classifications will include, but not be limited to, intents, entities, dialog acts and their relationships to business objectives, agent workflows, customer service and problem resolution. These conceptual frameworks will be an anchor point for product strategy, machine learning(ML) modeling, bot and automation technology, and analytics and reporting. The right candidate will combine data-driven and foundational approaches to deliver an understanding that is faithful to how people use our systems today, but also helps us identify key underserved intents and future capabilities. This is a unique and wide-ranging problem, so we are looking for a senior candidate who is capable of working to define deliverables, shape outcomes, and lead teams toward successful results. The candidate must be able to thrive in a flat, fast-moving environment that relies on lightweight processes to deliver huge impact.
In this role you will:
- Research, define, and create consumer-to-brand intents --- what are the core categorizations/hierarchies of consumer needs for specific brands or marketplace verticals, and how do they map to a consumer-centric reference frame?
- Develop and apply in-depth expertise for how our customers perceive and think about products, their classification and attributes in order to search for them, including researching and modeling product categories and attribute nuances across different locales
- Synthesize behavioral data, brand-developed categorizations and foundational methodologies into coherent, actionable and testable taxonomies and ontologies.
- Develop and integrate knowledge assets with machine learning systems, product and marketing teams, and downstream production services
- Work with software engineers and data scientists to develop and implement measurement strategies to validate and improve your model
- Provide guidance about ontologies and semantic representations, supporting recommendations with data
- Analyze and optimize processes, owning data integrity and taxonomy effectiveness
- Develop annotation processes, including evaluation, instructions and UI annotation tool efficiency, to train vendor resources for large amounts of data annotation, in multiple languages
We are looking for an expert with experience in:
- 7+ years experience developing and managing taxonomies and ontologies, preferably in the conversational commerce space
- Proven experience driving and managing multiple projects for multiple stakeholders delivering high quality results within tight deadlines
- Experience using taxonomy and annotation management systems to apply and maintain categories, attributes, and other metadata
- Ontology development and information domain modeling experience
- Experience evangelizing and making business cases for investment in ontology infrastructure, databases and UI
- Experience with researching and integrating third party taxonomy and ontology management systems
- Proven experience presenting technical and metadata information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience thinking at a high level about product strategy and vision
- Experience in building and shipping taxonomy and ontology features for e-commerce websites, or software
- Experience partnering with data science, product management, engineering, and external clients
- Experience with annotation workflows, training, instructions and resource management, both internal and crowd sourced
Your qualifications are:
- Experience planning and developing user intent taxonomies and structured metadata for large user intent catalogs, and crafting information interactions, especially in the e-commmerce domain.
- Understanding of tools for building and leading taxonomy and metadata; ability to work with tools engineers to build support for taxonomy and metadata requirements into the user intent strategy, authoring, and analytics tools.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, consistent with a customer focus and a deep understanding of the content and of business needs.
- Experience with market research, audience targeting, competitive analysis, analytics tools, and usability testing.
- Comfortable working with ambiguity, shifting priorities, communicating and partnering with technical and non-technical, internal and external stakeholders at every level of an organization
- Strong writing, speaking and presentation skills; able to communicate complex ideas in an understandable and engaging way
Preferred Qualifications are:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Management, or equivalent business experience
- 7+ years experience developing and managing user taxonomies and ontologies for business
- 7+ years of information architecture experience
- An understanding of support contact center processes and the application of knowledge and communications within them.
- Experience with Excel, G Suite, SQL, taxonomy and data annotation software, terminal and command line with Jupyter notebooks, Prodigy by Explosion.ai annotation tool for creating training data for machine learning models
- Experience with large datasets spanning multiple industries and domains
- A portfolio or other work samples showing e-commerce taxonomy work
- Experience in planning for user intent reuse, adaptive user intent strategy, and user intent personalization architecture.
- Programming or scripting experience
- Background in data science
- Metadata design experience
- Product/UX content strategy experience
Why you’ll love working here:
LivePerson was named to FastCompany’s World’s most innovative companies of 2020 list for the Artificial Intelligence category. We offer top tier tech & data science colleagues, along with opportunities to push your own limits. We embrace invention and experimentation. You’ll have great benefits, flexible time off, plus snacks and drinks to keep your mind fresh and stomach full. Most importantly, you’ll have an ability to make an impact at work and at brands across the globe as we build the future with trusted Conversational AI together.
At LivePerson, people from diverse backgrounds come together to do their best work and be their authentic selves. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.