Senior Financial Reporting Analyst at Carta (Salt Lake City, UT)
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
Learn more about our Series G fundraising round here.
This role is on the Financial Reporting Team (ASC718) within the Support Organization. We are a team of equity and accounting professionals dedicated to supporting the needs of our clients and internal partners. As a specialty services team, our primary function is to process client requests and customize unique solutions specifically related to the stock-based compensation reporting product (ASC 718). We use our unique expertise to assist other delivery teams in supporting our clients, as well as work closely with the financial reporting product team to solve accounting problems with software and ensure we are building a product offering that the market demands.
Individuals on our team are diverse. Our backgrounds range from tenured equity administrators and recent business school graduates to accountants and software experts. We embrace variety and utilize each other’s strengths to be as efficient as possible. We are a collaborative team in all regards, working together to learn more about our craft and share our skills with one another. Our daily and weekly team meetings are filled with engaging conversations where we learn more about each other, as well as frequent case-study examples of things that went well, or lessons learned. As our core function, we are gritty problem solvers who don’t shy away from hard work. We spend our days collaborating on creative solutions to meet our client’s needs.The Problems You’ll Solve
Accurately accounting for and reporting on equity compensation is a complex and difficult task for most companies that issue equity to their employees. We make this difficult task an easy one by leveraging our software whenever possible, and providing custom accounting services to our clients when our software does not accommodate their needs. This includes custom reporting, solving software/data problems, answering technical questions, and being able to explain the concepts and guidance in a simple and digestible way.
- Serve as the resident expert within Carta on all ASC 718 and related accounting topics by answering the most complex and unique questions and providing clear guidance to Carta personnel and clients
- Support Carta customers in completing their reporting and audit requirements, including building custom reports and defending your work through audit
- Support client relationship health by making financial reporting work for every company’s unique situation; customize reports and settings to comply with the needs of our clients and applicable accounting standards
- Prioritize and prototype new financial reporting functionality based on the market demand; provide this feedback directly to the financial reporting product team
- Provide expert-level support and guidance to internal partners at Carta to maintain financial reporting accuracy
- Support product updates and the migration of clients between different software platforms and versions
- Create content to establish Carta financial reporting as a trusted, reliable, and auditable source within the industry
- Understand and interpret relevant accounting guidance and relate it to specific scenarios and situations
Financial Reporting is one of the “stickiest” of the Carta products. As an expert on this product, you will help Carta service clients with unique needs while also enhancing the value clients get from our products. You will leverage your industry knowledge, professional experiences, as well as client feedback to improve the quality and impact of the financial reporting software.About You
As a Senior Financial Reporting Analyst, you will be responsible for working directly with clients and Carta co-workers to resolve problems. The ideal candidate will possess the following traits, competencies, and abilities.
- Relevant Equity Admin and ASC 718 Experience: This role requires expert-level understanding of accounting, equity, and financial reporting principles and guidelines. This role would best suit someone with hands-on ASC 718 experience, specifically as an auditor or preparer of stock-based compensation reporting. CEP certification and/or CPA licensed individuals preferred.
- Technically Proficient: Daily use of Excel to work with very large and complex data sets and calculations is expected. A strong candidate will have the ability to create completely custom reports including but not limited to SBC, DTA, and Diluted EPS. Must have experience reading, comprehending, and applying technical accounting guidance to real-world circumstances.
- Helpful: Our first and foremost duty is to be helpful to our clients and internal partners by providing meaningful support resulting in better outcomes.
- Detail Oriented: This position requires strict adherence to security best practices, protection of customer data, and the ability to understand complex problems and find detailed answers within large and complex sets of data. Strong organizational skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential!
- Empathetic: Empathetically understand problem statements from customers and use the understanding you have gained to suggest workable solutions.
- Analytical: Must be able to understand complex calculations, trace problems to root causes, and explain the analysis performed in a simple yet descriptive manner.
- Adaptive: Change to software, structure, policy, and processes are expected. Adoption and acceptance of new methods with a positive attitude is necessary.
- Creative: When faced with problems, find creative solutions that leverage existing Carta tools as well as your own knowledge and experience.
- Ethical: Weigh both sides of each issue, consult with trusted advisors, and strive to do the right thing in all scenarios.
After submitting your application, resume, and cover letter, qualified candidates will complete an initial 15-30 minute screening interview. Candidates moving forward will then complete a virtual set of “onsite” interviews consisting of four 30-minute sessions which will include a review of a technical challenge sent to the candidate before the interviews. After this round of interviews, all candidates will be notified of the interview panel’s decision. In rare cases, there could be an additional round of interviews to gather additional information.