Senior Finance Manager at Upstart (Remote)
Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. As we transitioned to being a public company, we’re now poised to leverage our domain expertise and revolutionize every aspect of lending and credit risk evaluation. We’ve recently expanded our offerings to include automobile refinancing and we plan to take on more verticals as the business grows.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart not only supports a large remote workforce, but also has offices in San Mateo, CA; Columbus, OH; and Austin, TX.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The FP&A team at Upstart plays an integral part in the company’s business and financial planning process. We are looking for a highly motivated and hard-working individual to join our team to help manage and grow our Auto Retail business, as well as support other operational and strategic decision-making across the organization.
As the Senior Finance Manager at Upstart, you will drive and support all aspects of financial planning and analysis. You’ll take ownership of various FP&A responsibilities, which includes in-depth financial and business planning, collaborating with business leaders across the company, and driving analyses for strategic business cases. Through your efforts, we’ll be able to ensure the Upstart leadership team stays on top of our financial performance, and evaluate risks and opportunities. If you are naturally curious, love data, versed in financial modeling and analysis, and an excellent communicator who enjoys collaborating with people with a diverse set of talents, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: San Mateo or West Coast, and Remote #LI-REMOTE
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 4 days per Month if you are in San Mateo, or 2-3 consecutive days per Quarter at the San Mateo office if you are remote. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead business analyses for Auto Retail vertical, providing strategic insights and forward-looking recommendations to executive leadership on a weekly basis
- Partner and collaborate with various leaders in sales and marketing, customer success, analytics, product, development, and operations to provide business insights and communicate key insights and message
- Collaborate with analytics to help build upon and enhance reporting infrastructure and tools for financial analyses, leveraging BI tools such as Looker
- Monitor financial trends in relevant metrics and report on key insights; synthesize and communicate impacts of various initiatives and the corresponding financial impacts
- Support company P&L consolidation and drive financial accountability and transparency
- Drive long-term forecast model for the business (3-5 years) and collaborate with finance team on reporting deliverables
- Support monthly result analyses, working closely with Accounting to understand key variances, summarize and present the results to the Finance Leadership
- Support key financial deliverables, such as earnings preparation, guidance setting, monthly business reviews, and other ad-hoc analyses
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- BS/MS Degree in Finance, Economics, Computer Science, Statistics or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years of relevant work experience (eg. FP&A, Corporate Finance, Analytics)
- Experience with 3-statement financial modeling and forecasting and building models from scratch
- Experience with BI/reporting tools such as Looker or Tableau desired
- Competent in Excel and/or Google Sheets: excellent modeling skills and ability to perform complex analyses with big data sets required
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience with NetSuite
- Experience with Adaptive Planning
- Experience with advanced data analytics tools such as SQL, Python or R
- Previous consumer marketplace lending industry experience
- Previous auto industry experience
- MBA preferred
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and ability to see both the details and the big picture
- Excellent presentation skills and comfort in communicating with multiple levels of leadership
- Proven track record in demonstrating well-developed strategic, analytical, interpersonal, organizational and communications skills
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.