Senior Finance Manager, Bank & Lending at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We've been named a 2021 Top Workplace by the Chicago Tribune and listed on Built In’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago. We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
M1 is seeking a Sr. Finance Manager to lead the finance function of its Digital Bank and Consumer Lending lines of business. This person will also oversee the finance, treasury, and controller functions at M1’s partner bank, The First National Bank of Buhl (“Bank”). This individual will be a leader in the organization, managing the Bank’s finance department, collaborating with regulatory agencies, and building a strong team for the purposes of overseeing the Bank’s new Banking-as-a-Service (“BaaS”), including the products being jointly offered by M1 and the Bank via their partnership.
What you’ll do
- Lead Finance, including treasury and controller functions for the Bank
- Provide finance leadership on a small team who is developing new M1 products including: personal loans, secured loans such as auto & home equity, and mortgage products
- Oversee the creation of audited financial statements and periodically report data to management
- Provide financial modeling and cash flow analysis for a diverse pool of projects to maximum financial results
- Advise on new products and processes backed by planning and data to help keep the Bank operating most efficiently
- Create finance related policies and procedures as well as assist in regulatory examinations as needed
- Build the Bank’s finance team, by hiring, training, and mentoring new staff members
- 8+ years of work experience in banking finance, treasury and/or controller functions preferred
- Experience with the following: Payments, ACH, Wire Transfers, Collateral Accounts, Control Accounts, NACHA rules, Financial Statements, Accounting, etc.
- Strong people management experience and demonstrated ability to build out processes
- Ability to effectively communicate with C-level executives and provide guidance as needed
- High attention to detail with demonstrated accountability and decision quality
- Must be able to work both in a team and individually
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym