Senior Accountant at GumGum
GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
GumGum’s Accounting Department ensures the accuracy, organization, and timely reporting of the company’s domestic and international financial operations. Our accountants perform financial functions related to the collection, analysis and presentation of the company’s finances. They manage our general ledger, analyze and reconcile accounts, prepare financial statements and produce comprehensive financial reports for management - all integral and vital to the company’s growth and success.
As a Senior Accountant at GumGum, this role reports to the Accounting Manager and is primarily responsible for managing the general ledger, analyzing and reconciling accounts and creating financial reports. This role requires someone who is proactive, self-directed and team oriented with strong general ledger and technical accounting experience and the resourcefulness to take on a variety of assignments.
Please note, GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and MN.
- Systems and Process
- Assist in the ownership of the general ledger and the month-end close process, including the preparation and review of journal entries and supporting work papers for key balance sheet and expense accounts
- Create and maintain accounting schedules, reconciliations, roll-forwards for fixed assets, prepaids and accruals, record associated monthly adjusting journal entries, and report on results when necessary
- Build out and maintain the process of recording and reconciling capitalized software development and publisher commissions
- Perform monthly/quarterly balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses and provide explanation on variances
- Risk Management & Auditing
- Maintain appropriate internal controls to ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial and management reports
- Support annual internal and external financial and international statutory audits, including the preparation of audit schedules, financial statements and footnotes
- Play a key role in general process improvements and process documentation for all facets of the accounting close cycle
- Support management team with special projects and ad hoc requests
BS/BA required. Degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics preferred
- 4+ years of progressive Accounting experience
- Experience working in a global company; processing payments in foreign currency
- Experience with financial statement analytics and trend analyses
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP required. IFRS and Japan GAAP a plus
- Advanced enterprise accounting systems experience such as NetSuite or similar
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills and proficiency in Excel
- Proven track record of strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A proactive, self-directed approach with the ability to multi-task, think creatively, meet deadlines and learn quickly in a high-volume environment
- Team-oriented with a positive attitude, with an ability to work autonomously with little to no supervision
- Self-motivated to develop, be challenged and learn in a fast-paced environment
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave - birth parents can receive up to 16 - 18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted pet health program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Pet friendly organization - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Optional return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired JustPremium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. JustPremium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum