Senior Accountant at Varsity Tutors (Remote)
Nerdy, the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading curated direct-to-consumer platform for learning and live online instruction. Nerdy’s mission is to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company’s purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI and machine learning, to connect learners of all ages to experts and deliver superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy’s comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy’s flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation’s largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/.
On January 28, 2021, the Company executed a definitive business combination agreement with TPG Pace Tech Opportunities Corp. (“TPG Pace”). The transaction closed on September 20, 2021, and Nerdy became a public company on September 21, 2021. The Company is listed on the NYSE under the ticker symbol NRDY.
Varsity Tutors is searching for a talented Senior Accountant to join our fast growing Company. The Senior Accountant manages the day-to-day and long-term accounting functions of the company. The individual in this role will assist with all aspects of financial reporting, including management reporting and month end close responsibilities. This role will be responsible for designing and executing best-in-class strategies and processes, incorporating critical thinking skills to drive accuracy and efficiency, and helping to lead our financial reporting efforts. This position will report directly to the Accounting Manager and will work remotely and/or from of our corporate headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Masters in Accounting; CPA strongly preferred
- Big 4 and/or a combination of Public Accounting and Public Company experience strongly preferred
- 3+ years of accounting experience
- Ability to work cross functionally throughout the organization, including directly with the C-Suite
- Ability to thrive and effectively operate in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and experience in consolidated financial reporting
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving, decision-making, leadership, oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Excel, experience with ERP software preferred (not required). Note, Varsity Tutors utilizes NetSuite (Oracle)
- Day-to-day accounting including creating and reviewing journal entries, participation in month end close processes and account reconciliations
- Assist in preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, including analyzing variances to forecast and LY
- Assist with external audit coordination and PBC requests
- Implementation of financial, operational, and accounting key controls; including ensuring retention of applicable documentation
- Create and implement policies and procedures where needed to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make processes more efficient and accurate
- Ensure a quality process, including checks and balances, for all financial and external reporting requirements
- Maintain a high-functioning relationship with other executives to ensure transparency, efficiency, effectiveness, and integrity in all commercial endeavors
- Assist with technical accounting interpretations, as well as the implementation of new accounting standards (e.g., Revenue Recognition and Lease Accounting)
Location and Travel
Nerdy is a remote-first company, meaning that for the vast majority of roles, our employees have the option to work remotely. Much like online learning affords Learners the ability to ignore geographical constraints and find the best Expert for their needs irrespective of location, we believe a remote-first orientation allows us the ability to access a significantly larger talent pool from which to hire, which can serve as a long-term competitive advantage.
The Senior Accountant role will be remote and will collaborate with company leadership based in St. Louis, MO, Seattle, WA and other U.S. locations.
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Plan
- Remote Position, fully work from home (or wherever you like!)
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday
- Paid VTO ("volunteer time off" to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or your immediate family members
- Free access to our Virtual School Day classes and [email protected] program
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP)