Senior Accountant - Technical Advisory at CNA
The Technical Advisory (TA) team within Corporate Financial Services is responsible for ensuring that the Company's US GAAP, IFRS and Statutory accounting policies and practices are in compliance with current US GAAP, IFRS and NAIC standards and are also consistent with SEC regulations and industry practice.
This position reports to the Director and plays an active role in researching accounting guidance, consulting on complex transactions and supporting the overall objectives of the TA team. The role researches, analyzes, and interprets new and existing accounting guidance and works with fellow team members and corporate customers to ensure that the Company's GAAP, IFRS and Statutory accounting policies and practices are in compliance with authoritative guidance, regulations and industry practice.
The role represents a high level of individual technical accounting contribution through recurring and project based work, and involves working closely with other areas throughout the Company, including GAAP Reporting, Statutory Reporting, Investments, Foreign and Domestic Subsidiaries, P&C and Corporate Accounting, Reinsurance, Tax, and Legal. This role provides significant opportunities to enhance and develop insurance accounting skills and high visibility to senior management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Assists as team member in accounting projects that meet ultimate objectives of the organization. These projects may be involved with accounting standard implementation projects for newly issued GAAP, IFRS, and statutory accounting guidance, performing benchmarking analysis of industry peers, and assisting with accounting issues identified by management.
2. Works closely with the business in determining the proper accounting treatment of complex or unusual transactions.
3. Provides accounting analysis, interpretation and advice to management to help in resolving technical issues and reviewing or drafting technical accounting memos.
4. Collaborates with external auditors for review of accounting technical memos.
5 . Provides leadership and direction to team members, rather than through a direct supervisory role.
6 . May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Knowledge of complex accounting principles, practices and procedures as well as GAAP and other statutory accounting procedures.
2. Excellent research skills and ability to interpret and apply accounting guidance .
3. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems, including processing systems and applications.
4. Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
5. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with staff at all levels.
7. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
8. Ability to work independently.
9. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree, preferably in accounting or finance.
2. Typically a minimum of three to four years of related work experience in accounting.