Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About the Role:
We’re seeking an exceptional Senior Accountant – SEC Reporting to join our Accounting & Finance team to support our fast-growing business in San Francisco! The ideal candidate will enjoy the challenges of period-end close and SEC reporting, including the preparation of financial statements and related disclosures. This role will also assist the Director of SEC Reporting with all aspects of financial reporting, including external reporting, internal/management reporting, implementation of accounting standards and S-X/S-K rules, and other projects as the need arises.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assist in the design, preparation, and review of external and internal financial reports including audited financial statements and footnotes and SEC filings, including Form 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, and other filings
- Assist in the coordination with our independent auditors for quarterly review and annual financial statement audit
- Assist with the research, interpretation and implementation of accounting and regulatory guidance and instructions (where applicable) to ensure accurate and relevant disclosures in Opendoor’s financial statements and SEC filings
- Assist in developing reporting timelines and help ensure timely deliverables towards each filing.
- Execute and maintain an effective internal control environment
- Establish and maintain close coordination with finance, legal and other business partners to gather information to ensure proper input into internal and external financial reporting
- Continuously work to enhance and streamline reporting processes and controls
- Support internal and external audits and regulatory examinations
- Ad hoc projects as needed
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- 3+ years of accounting experience, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting or finance
- Current Certified Public Accountant or CPA candidate
- Eager to learn and excited about SEC reporting and the preparation of financial statements and footnotes of public companies.
- Strong problems solving skills with the initiative to research and resolve issues independently
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and strong with Word and Excel
- Desire to work in a fast-growing, exciting, and agile business
- Ability to work cross-functionally to obtain all relevant facts and articulate accounting requirements and conclusions reached
- Experience with Workiva – Wdesk
- XBRL experience, real estate and capital markets accounting experience
- NetSuite or other ERP experience
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Read Full Job Description