Senior Accountant - Life & Group/International Accounting at CNA
The Senior Accountant position is part of Corporate Financial Services (CFS), CNA's corporate controller organization. The group l eads CNA's financial close process, driving efficient accounting and related analysis, along with meaningful internal and external reporting. The group's responsibilities encompass property & casualty and life & group insurance, reinsurance, and corporate accounting, as well as technical advisory, financial control, services operations, and SEC/GAAP and Statutory reporting.
This role provides opportunities to collaborate across business units and utilize new technologies, as we strive to continually enhance and improve processes.
The Life & Group/International Team is responsible for overseeing the accounting for our Long-Term Care Segment as well as partnering with our International Finance Teams in accounting and reporting for our International Segment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Monthly close and related accounting processes and analysis (e.g. financial statement analysis, journal entries, reconciliation).
· Contributes to the implementation of new accounting standards, working on cross-functional teams to understand, apply, and operationalize the impacted accounting and processes.
· Participates in and helps identify process improvement projects, including furthering use of technology to streamline processes.
· Preparing quarterly/annual statutory and/or GAAP financial statements and schedules/exhibits in compliance with SEC, FASB, NAIC and other regulatory requirements, and monthly internal financial results packages.
· Liaison with internal and external auditors and performs controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley.
· Prepares and presents analytical schedules, analyzes variances, and provides analytical support for internal requests.
· Implementing, reporting, and communicating the impact of business and accounting related initiatives on assigned processes and financial statements.
· Working collaboratively within the team, across the department, and individuals external to CNA.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
· General knowledge of GAAP and statutory accounting principles.
· Basic knowledge of corporate, departmental and/or specialty accounting practices, procedures and principles as they relate to the organization, business unit and industry.
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems, including processing systems and applications.
· Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with staff at all levels.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and ability to work independently.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor's Degree, preferably in accounting or finance.
· Typically a minimum of three years of work experience in accounting/finance related role.
· CPA or CPA eligible preferred.
· Public accounting experience a plus.