Senior Accountant - GAAP Reporting at CNA
This position reports to the Director and is part of the GAAP Reporting team, which has responsibility for the SEC reporting process, including the creation, analysis, and filing of the Company's quarterly Form 10-Qs and annual Form 10-Ks with the SEC, as well as Form 8Ks and other SEC filings. The team is also responsible for the creation and analysis of certain stand-alone financial statements and government reports as well as the development, analysis, and distribution of key financial metrics. The role provides opportunities to collaborate across business units and utilize new technologies, as we strive to continually enhance and improve processes.
The GAAP Reporting team is part of Corporate Financial Services, CNA's corporate controller organization. The group leads CNA's financial close process, driving efficient accounting and related analysis, along with meaningful internal and external reporting. The group's responsibilities encompass property & casualty and life & group insurance, reinsurance and corporate accounting as well as technical advisory, financial control, services operations and SEC/GAAP and Statutory reporting.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, team-player that possesses a strong analytical mindset and a high degree of accountability for accurately reporting externally on CNA's financial position and internally to deliver meaningful financial insights that shape the direction of the Company. This role requires strong communication and organizational skills, attention to detail, and the desire to innovate and improve.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Prepares the quarterly Form 10-Qs and annual Form 10-Ks, including financial statements and related footnotes / schedules.
2. Prepares stand-alone financial statements and government reports.
3. Participates in technical accounting research and in determining the proper reporting treatment of complex or unusual transactions.
4. Prepares analytical schedules, analyzes variances, and provides analytical support for internal requests.
5. Participates in evaluating the impact of new disclosure guidance.
6. Performs benchmarking analysis against peer financial statements.
7. Investigates financial results, understands and effectively communicates impact to management.
8. Leads process improvement initiatives that enhance the efficiency and accuracy of financial reporting, including furthering use of technology to streamline processes.
9. Works collaboratively within the team, across the department, and individuals external to CNA.
10. Liaison with internal and external auditors and provides necessary support.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Basic knowledge of accounting and industry issues as they relate to the organization.
2. General knowledge of GAAP accounting principles, practices and procedures.
3. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems.
4. Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and ability to work independently.
6. Ability to foster and maintain collaborative relationships with peers, business partners and other members of management
7. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree, preferably in accounting or finance, CPA desirable.
Typically three to five years of work experience in accounting/finance or reporting related role.
Public accounting experience a plus.