Senior Accountant, Derivatives at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is looking for a highly motivated accounting professional to join our Brokerage and Platform Accounting team as a Senior Accountant and play a key role in our continued growth and achievement of operational perfection. The Senior Accountant, Derivatives must possess strong accounting and operational expertise, an ability to communicate and work with various teams outside of Finance (such as Data, Trading Operations and other Engineering groups), and a desire to make a significant impact on a dynamic, high-growth technology company.
Reporting to the Director, Platform Operations Controller, the Senior Accountant, Derivatives will be responsible for monitoring, accounting, reporting and analysis of business activity related to derivatives and financial instruments at Coinbase. This position will work with various cross functional teams within the Company and requires someone with impeccable attention to detail, a financial and analytic mindset and knowledge of accounting for derivatives and financial instruments. This position will impact a rapidly growing organization and offers career development opportunities for the right candidate.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Responsible for monthly accounting close activities related to derivatives for regulated and non-regulated entities
- Work closely with the middle-office operations teams to evaluate accuracy and completeness of data used in financial reporting
- Provide support to Trading Operations teams in the development and monitoring of hedging programs and trading strategies
- Perform business analysis on derivative portfolios to identify variances and/or trends
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures over platform accounting activities and assist in the design and implementation of new controls and processes
- Assist in the development and implementation of scalable accounting processes to facilitate timely and accurate financial reporting
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to operationalize new areas of the business to facilitate streamlined accounting transactions as assigned
- Partner with Data to investigate and resolve crypto / payment exceptions timely
- Analyze data against business drivers to identify trends / issues
- Provide support for internal and external audits related to specific areas of responsibility
- Maintain up-to-date process documentation and procedures as assigned
- Support ad hoc financial information requests and analyses and other special projects as assigned
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field / CPA required
- Minimum of 5 years experience in accounting or finance, preferably in the fintech/financial services industry
- Strong knowledge of accounting guidance related to Derivatives and Hedging (ASC 815)
- Basic knowledge of blockchain technology and the crypto economy
- Possess excellent analytical skills (MS Excel), business partnering, problem solving and prioritization skills
- Able to work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work autonomously and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong work ethic and team player
Nice to haves:
- Experience working at a publicly traded company and/or regulated entity
- FINRA Registration (Series 7, 99, 3 or equivalent)
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or other programming languages
- Experience working in Netsuite, FloQast and G-Suite
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.