Property Casualty Insurance Actuarial Manager, Rate Filings at Hippo Insurance
Location: Palo Alto, CA / Austin, TX / Dallas, TX / Bedminster NJ
Reporting to: Director of Actuarial Services
Title: Property Casualty Insurance Actuarial Manager, Rate Filings
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About the role:
Own and direct the state rate filings processes related to the successful rollout of new homeowners programs as well as maintenance rate filings for the homeowners product line. Manage a team of actuarial associates and collaborate with pricing actuaries, underwriters, compliance and development teams. This individual will be accountable for the success of the filings and contribute to the ultimate deployment of the proposed rating structures.
- In collaboration with underwriters and pricing actuaries, define and ultimately own the proposed workstream for relevant state and product rate filings
- Workstream includes research, a strong understanding and communication of the specific regulatory requirements for the state and product
- Managing the filing support preparation, submission to SERFF and resulting communication with regulatory authorities
- Continuous communication with internal stakeholders on approval timelines
- Management and mentoring of a team of 2-3 actuarial analyst
- 5-7 years property casualty actuarial insurance experience with at least 3 years experience with personal lines rate filings
- ACAS or near FCAS
- Homeowners ratemaking and rate filing experience
- Working knowledge of Insurance department filing requirements and requirements for the preparation and successful submission of rate and rule filings
- Proficient with SERFF
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficient in SQL, Excel
- Understanding of the NAIC Insurance Company Statutory filings such as the insurance blank (aka “the yellow book”)
- Collaborative, resilient, flexible
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, economics or a related field
- Nice to have: experience in bringing new insurance products to the marketplace
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.